Setup change

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdog

New
Fellows, i have never really been able to just let it go when i swing. I never felt free or able to have good rhythm on consecutive swings. When i was playing ball, i hit the ball hard consistantly with pretty good rhythm.
Looking at good ball strikers for the most part at impact, the hips are open, the shoulders are fairly square. I have been taking a good look at pivot motions. I have found for me that opening my hips at address by flairing my lead foot and moving it back some, has freed my swing. I have hit the farthest drives of my short golf life, my irons have been right at the target. My at the top position had my hips square, my shoulders close to 90. My downswing has been simply to drive my front knee to the target. My good shots are extremely good, my bad shots tend to be pushes off the toe and now slices. Also, the slower i can make myself go, the better i hit the ball (i have a problem over accelerating full shots).
The position of the neck and head is also important it seems, its as if my eyes feel verticle looking at the ball.
If anyone had read Blake, thats sorta it.
Any opinions on an open setup are needed and welcomed.

quote:Originally posted by cdog

My at the top position had my hips square, my shoulders close to 90.
Hips "square"?
quote:My downswing has been simply to drive my front knee to the target. My good shots are extremely good, my bad shots tend to be pushes off the toe and now slices. Also, the slower i can make myself go, the better i hit the ball (i have a problem over accelerating full shots).
I would suggest that you get it on video so you will have a reference and know EXACTLY what you ARE doing.

Be cautious about relying (not to say you are) on tips/swing thoughts/phrases...unless they can produce the desired mechanics repeatedly.
quote:
Any opinions on an open setup are needed and welcomed.
Is it just your "foot line" that is open?

If so, I think it's fine IF you are starting to pound the ball and be more consistent.

cdog

New
Rag, your right, i do need to see it on video.
My front foot is flaired and slightly back, my hip are approaching 45 open at setup, im still working exact foot placement, my hips arent as flexible as they once were.
The toe hits and slice came from going at it to hard, i'm thinking my body was just to far ahead.

Eminem

Banned
I wouldn't recommend being that open, but one swing does come to mind. There is an ex/hockey player called Allen Doyle who plays with a severely open stance.

Status
Not open for further replies.