Shallowing the AOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got in few swings on TM this week and looks like I still need to improve the AOA numbers. My 6 iron was still in the upper 6's and I'm pretty sure that my jump-up and/or back extension isn't what it needs to be. Part of it may be a timing thing in that I'm trying to do it as I get into impact but my brain might need to signal it to start sooner.

At the same time I was thinking that starting the swing with more knee-bend (or getting a deeper knee-bend at start down) might give one more range-of-motion to move thru and thus improve the jump-up and shallow out the AOA. Any thoughts?

Also - when we talk about back extension, are we merely talking about straightening up at the waist or are the knees included in that motion.

Tried doing some searches on this but without much luck. If there are some related threads out there let me know. I've got the "ideas" vid and need to review it again as well.

Appreciate any inputs.

In my lesson last summer with Brian he simply explained back extension as "getting your belly button to face the sky" into the follow through. I found that I had to start this movement what felt like well before impact. I think it definitely involves straightening up at the waist and knees. My angle of attack was -8* to -9* with a six iron to start. I was able to get it down to around -5* to -6* and obviously have some more work to do on it. I'm hoping the coupling point and release information will help too.

does anyone have any evidence on whether people swing their irons differently on mats vs. grass? i'm wondering if AoA numbers on (hard) mats would be different because people subconsciously shallow out to avoid impacting the mat.

At my lesson with with Brian I was hitting off a hard lie angle board and still hitting down that much. I guess after a few days, it might start hurting enough to shallow out more.

hp12c

New
At my lesson with with Brian I was hitting off a hard lie angle board and still hitting down that much. I guess after a few days, it might start hurting enough to shallow out more.

Im trying to shallow out too but get clanky sounding irons, Im thinking of hitting off cement with my old irons.

hp12c

New

spktho I read this and was going to try t hit my old irons of cement but thne remebered about my grass whip and if i dont shallow out my swing the blade digs into the grass, real or artificial. here is my attemp with it,what u think?

does anyone have any evidence on whether people swing their irons differently on mats vs. grass? i'm wondering if AoA numbers on (hard) mats would be different because people subconsciously shallow out to avoid impacting the mat.

not evidence as such, but I'm certain that real grass is less forgiving than a mat of an AoA that is too shallow. There's a difference between "allowing" you to catch it a little fat and "encouraging" you to catch it fat.

personally I worry more about crappy range balls than the mats. my feeling is that range balls, if they don't spin enough, can encourage you to try and scoop them into the air to try and get a decent carry, especially with the longer, less lofted clubs.

spktho I read this and was going to try t hit my old irons of cement but thne remebered about my grass whip and if i dont shallow out my swing the blade digs into the grass, real or artificial. here is my attemp with it,what u think?

I was hitting off the lie board with Brian because of Trackman being able to read the club and ball instead of a divot, it wasn't for trying to shallow out my attack angle.

From watching you swing the grass cutter, I think you could use a belly to the sky finish to help shallow out. I think you can accomplish it by hitting balls while just trying to brush the grass or mat.

hp12c

New
I was hitting off the lie board with Brian because of Trackman being able to read the club and ball instead of a divot, it wasn't for trying to shallow out my attack angle.

From watching you swing the grass cutter, I think you could use a belly to the sky finish to help shallow out. I think you can accomplish it by hitting balls while just trying to brush the grass or mat.

Spktho my man I went to the chipping and pitching are today took my grass cutter,wedges and it worked, the grass cutter motions to shallow out my chipping, pitching swing! Nice high flight and barely scraped the grass, I did hit some fat ones and I realized I was putting too much body/pivot into this small swing so I stood flat footed picked up the club and let it drop and real nice high shots with no divot just a scrape on the grass. I then went to the driving range mats and tried the belly to the sky, not good lots of thin shots . But really happy about the chips/pitches high and soft.

Spktho my man I went to the chipping and pitching are today took my grass cutter,wedges and it worked, the grass cutter motions to shallow out my chipping, pitching swing! Nice high flight and barely scraped the grass, I did hit some fat ones and I realized I was putting too much body/pivot into this small swing so I stood flat footed picked up the club and let it drop and real nice high shots with no divot just a scrape on the grass. I then went to the driving range mats and tried the belly to the sky, not good lots of thin shots . But really happy about the chips/pitches high and soft.

Good deal.

With the full swing, make sure that you are getting a good "run up" or lowering(maybe feel a small squat or bent at the waist a little more) at the top of the backswing/start of downswing, then go belly to the sky into the finish. As Brian said to me, "get the hula hoop more into the ground before yanking it out".

Status
Not open for further replies.