Shooting My Age

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have finally accomplished my goal for the year - to shoot my age (or better).

Did it with a mediocre 2 over par 37 on the first nine and a nifty 5 under par 31 on the back - 3 birdies and 1 eagle - total of 68 - 1 better than my age of 69.

Now if I can only putt the way I did on the last 9. 1st nine was the same old - same old - only 1 solid putt - missed 2 birdies from inside 4' and 2 par putts inside 5'. Back 9 - every putt hit solid - only 12 putts needed. Total of 30 putts for the round. Have not been less than 30 putts all year. Last 2 rounds were only rounds of the year with no 3 putts. Hopefully on the road to recovery.

Had a great shot at it this past Sunday with a 2 under 70 with 33 putts - no bogeys- only missed 2 greens and on 1 par 5 in 2. Only birdies were the 2 putts on the 5 par and a 5'. Missed 3 birdies inside of 5'.

Bruce

borat-high-five-o.gif

Swing Thoughts -

Driver - "Aim" a little right (pick out a specific target in the distance) and "swing up". Usually straight shot to a slight "pull draw".

Irons - make sure I complete the BS (I tend to get a little short and quick - especially with shorter irons).

Putting - Went back to the standard length putter for the round - had used the belly for the last 4 or 5 rounds. 1st nine - way too much tension in my grip - short stabby stroke - putter face never square at impact. 2nd nine - relaxed the grip and my arms - much freer swing - ball came off the putter rolling nicely. Made 3' for par at 11, 10' for par at 12, 30' at 13 for eagle, 6" for birdie at 14, just missed from 15' at 15, 30' for birdie at 16, solid putt from 30' at 17 and 2' for birdie at 18 (par 5 up and down from pin high right of green).

Going back out today to practice - see if I can nail down some good thoughts on the practice green.

Well I have finally accomplished my goal for the year - to shoot my age (or better).

Did it with a mediocre 2 over par 37 on the first nine and a nifty 5 under par 31 on the back - 3 birdies and 1 eagle - total of 68 - 1 better than my age of 69.

Now if I can only putt the way I did on the last 9. 1st nine was the same old - same old - only 1 solid putt - missed 2 birdies from inside 4' and 2 par putts inside 5'. Back 9 - every putt hit solid - only 12 putts needed. Total of 30 putts for the round. Have not been less than 30 putts all year. Last 2 rounds were only rounds of the year with no 3 putts. Hopefully on the road to recovery.

Had a great shot at it this past Sunday with a 2 under 70 with 33 putts - no bogeys- only missed 2 greens and on 1 par 5 in 2. Only birdies were the 2 putts on the 5 par and a 5'. Missed 3 birdies inside of 5'.

Bruce

Man, that's cool. Every time I hear about someone shooting their age or better, I just shake my head.

When I grow up...

How long have you been playing, if you don't mind my asking?

Congratulations Bruce...

Since you turned 60, have you made any changes to your swing to accommodate any aging or physical issues?

Recently I have incorporated some of the "Release Ideas" as well as the "BBKIB". I do not have any issues (knock on wood) at this time in making a full swing with a driver - can reach "parallel" at the top. I tend to cut many of my iron swings too short, so I have to be aware of that.

I do not do any specific exercises or stretching (I know I should and hope to get on a program this fall after I return from the UK in late Sept.).

Distance "loss" is tough to measure with all of the advances in technology. Driver SS is between 95 & 100 and I can get about 245 carry. Back in the days of persimmon and balata - that was about the same. I do have trouble getting 3 wood and 17 deg hybrid high enough to maximise carry as well as 4 iron and sometime 5 iron. Some of that may be "shaft" issues. I am soft stepping my 4 iron this week and may also used the pulled 4 iron shaft to do the same to the 5 iron. I currently use KBS Tour - Stiff (5.5) in the irons and wedges.

At some point I will probably have to "leave my ego at the door" and go to either a softer flex (5.0) or a shaft that is less "tip stiff". I do like the firm feel at impact and the ball flight with my 6 iron on down through the wedges.

I have a bad left ankle that gives me some balance issues in the follow thru (even with it well turned out) but am solid most of the time thru impact. Minor arthritis issues in both hands - take 2 Ibuprofin before play.

Still like to do a couple of "12 oz" arm curls after a round on a hot day.

As this is something that I could accomplish once I got to be 65 / 66 - I was wondering if I would get there before I reached 75 / 80 given all the bad putting I have been through the past 4 years.

Glad the "monkey is off my back".

Bruce

Huge congratulations!!! It's one of my life's goals in golf, but like many of them, I have no idea if I'll even have the chance to accomplish it.

Finally

Bruce,
Congratulations! With your action I would have thought shooting your age would have started long ago.:rolleyes: Glad to hear you still have a passion for the game and I cannot it believe the years have passed so quickly since we were working out the mysteries of the game in Pinehurst.
Your friend,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.