Short game coupling point question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've understood the info on CP and release and I can see why I've had so much trouble with my short game.

For short game shots should the CP stay level or even go down on the backswing on very short shots?

Or is it a case of those with a CP path that goes down coming back to the ball "holds on" for too long? Or does the golfer swing the hands down instead of the clubhead?

I've understood the info on CP and release and I can see why I've had so much trouble with my short game.

I haven't really tried to make changes to my swing based on the release thread, but I have been thinking a lot about the discussion and the feels described therein, and this has surely had an impact on my game.

It has manifested it most of all in the short game, where I've stopped trying to "hinge and hold" or otherwise drag the handle but have allowed myself to play a variety of what, to me, feel like much more natural shots. I used to have a very good short game and I feel like I might be able to return to it based on Brian et al's debunking of some handle-dragging myths - myths that I had previously bought into. Yesterday I played pretty lousy golf tee to green, but I got up and down 7 times, including a chip in and two of the best bunker shots I've ever hit.

For short game shots should the CP stay level or even go down on the backswing on very short shots?

Here you lost me: if the club is resting on the ground at address, how would it be possible to move the CP lower as you make a backswing? I just can't picture how that's physically possible.

To me it just seems like in any good pitch or chip shot there is a bit of the same "flick" as there is in a natural release. You can still hit the ball with a variety of types of forward lean and a variety of types of so-called "hinge actions," but there is still a flick.

I haven't really tried to make changes to my swing based on the release thread, but I have been thinking a lot about the discussion and the feels described therein, and this has surely had an impact on my game.

It has manifested it most of all in the short game, where I've stopped trying to "hinge and hold" or otherwise drag the handle but have allowed myself to play a variety of what, to me, feel like much more natural shots. I used to have a very good short game and I feel like I might be able to return to it based on Brian et al's debunking of some handle-dragging myths - myths that I had previously bought into. Yesterday I played pretty lousy golf tee to green, but I got up and down 7 times, including a chip in and two of the best bunker shots I've ever hit.

Here you lost me: if the club is resting on the ground at address, how would it be possible to move the CP lower as you make a backswing? I just can't picture how that's physically possible.

To me it just seems like in any good pitch or chip shot there is a bit of the same "flick" as there is in a natural release. You can still hit the ball with a variety of types of forward lean and a variety of types of so-called "hinge actions," but there is still a flick.

I think what I was getting at is as the wrists cock, the CP moves down either by knee flex increase or bending into it a bit more.

Almost a feeling that as the wrist cock the body moves down keeping the clubhead low or shallow despite wrist cock....but i'm just guess at what would be taught.

I've had some short game tuition recently that has freed up my release. Interestingly been trialing the Under Armour Mouthguard which has released a lot of tension and freed up my wrist action. No more ball back hands forward for me :)

I totally get what you say about the flick. I think TGM missed a trick thinking that things stopped at the flat left wrist. It's just a moment in time, and when it happens (the line up) is what's important rather than holding onto it.

Last edited:
I think what I was getting at is as the wrists cock, the CP moves down either by knee flex increase or bending into it a bit more.

Almost a feeling that as the wrist cock the body moves down keeping the clubhead low or shallow despite wrist cock....but i'm just guess at what would be taught.

Oh, I see: that make sense to me in terms of the physics of it. For me at least, i don't think I'd want to focus on that thought in my short game BS, but it might work for some.

One of the advantages of these newer ways of talking about and thinking about the release and the CP ideas, is that I also don't think much about wrist cock. I guess I'd put it this way: for any given short shot I need to make a BS that puts me in the necessary position to make a proper flick for that shot.

Maybe someone more qualified will chime in and say whether or not that makes any sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.