Short game - distance control

Status
Not open for further replies.
For chipping and pitching,
in Ben's video: the pivot still move to provide the thurst
in Chuck's video: lower half and shoulder do not move for chipping, only a arm stroke and on pitching, lower half doesn't move only necessary shoulder move.

It seems that Chuck's method is a hitting procedure and is recommended in TGM on 12-5-1 and 12-5-2 and Ben's is using the same procedure through out from full shot to chipping. I used to use my lower half for chipping since it is easier to provide the power (for beginner) but I found difficult to sense the distance control. As mentioned in TGM, should we start/master Chuck's method first? Is the hitting procedure (arms) easier for distance control?

I use the chipping method outlined in 12-5-1 with lots of success. 2 foot back and through, zero out the pivot and use different clubs to vary the distance. Very very simple stuff.

2 foot back and through:
1. Do you use the arm to take it back, trace the target line back, thus may disconnect the arms with the chest and stretch the arms or
2. Do you use the shoulder to rock the arms, thus more steep attack? However, 12-5-1 said no shoulder, just 2 foot back by arms?

I thought a steep attack is needed otherwise may hit the ground or scoop it with the 56, 60 degree wedges.

Thanks Densikat.

Definately no shoulder rock.

Just make sure you keep your alignments (flat left wrist, bent right wrist) rock solid through the chip. Focus on your hands. Note how far you have to move the hands to move the clubhead the desired distance. Then just replicate that feeling in the hands. One of the best ways to learn this is to get on a plane board and use your chipping motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.