Short Left thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bear with me here, I have had the hardest time trying to switch from a strong grip to a neutral grip and the big problem seems to be my left thumb. I physically cannot make a "short" thumb on the shaft and I wonder if that is why I seem to need a stronger grip (i.e. in order for the thumb to be where it needs to be in the swing). I remember an interview with Jack N. where he talked about the characteristics of the left thumb. He said that with the exception of Arnold Palmer, all the best golfers had a left thumb that "curled" when you gave the "thumbs up" sign and this allowed them to position it in the right spot at the top of the swing. I'm just wondering if I should give up trying to go to a Neutral grip if I can't get my left thumb in the right spot? Any thoughts?

Do NOT deliberately use a short left thumb.

Just use the natural length of your thumb. This will be a "long thumb" position.

Your left thumb should be straight down or very slightly to the right of the shaft.

Your left thumb WILL shorten if you make an orthodox backswing allowing your wrists to cock on the correct plane. It will act as a restraint on how much your wrists cock.

Do NOT deliberately use a short left thumb.

Just use the natural length of your thumb. This will be a "long thumb" position.

Your left thumb should be straight down or very slightly to the right of the shaft.

Your left thumb WILL shorten if you make an orthodox backswing allowing your wrists to cock on the correct plane. It will act as a restraint on how much your wrists cock.

I couldn't effectively use a long thumb if I tried (and I have), probably due to the size and structure of my hands. Will this end up adversely affecting my swing?

Clarify...

I couldn't effectively use a long thumb if I tried (and I have), probably due to the size and structure of my hands. Will this end up adversely affecting my swing?

So if you let your thumb go in a natural position (i.e. not deliberately making it short), you still get a short thumb? If so, does your left thumb get shorter at the top of your swing?

try this put your left index finger in a more trigger position and this will have the effect of shortening your thumb and then you can hook your right pinkie around the left index finger

So if you let your thumb go in a natural position (i.e. not deliberately making it short), you still get a short thumb? If so, does your left thumb get shorter at the top of your swing?

Yeah, I still get a short thumb. As far as the top of the swing question, let me get back to you when I get home from work and can grab a club.

Status
Not open for further replies.