Shorter Swing and club down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bad habit that I have always had in my swing is that I swing the club wayy past parallel and get the club pointing way right of the target ie across the line with my right elbow flying.
My posture and takeaway are fine but when the club gets to halfway point I don't really know what should happen from then on.
I have been told that my right wrist motion is not right and thus causing the across the line movement.
Anyone else have any ideas or drills on how to get this right?
Thanks,
Alex

EdZ

New
focus on two things:

using your right hand/arm to extend your left, and keeping your hands and chest turning together.

Unless you are VERY flexible, you won't be able to get more than 3/4 swings keeping that extention and turning your chest/shoulders in synch. Another good drill/checkpoint is to have a 90 degree angle in your right elbow at the top. When your shoulders stop turning, your arms stop.

You are most likely taking the club too inside, and lifting up your arms.

Assuming you are keeping a stable right knee, you should feel some good stretch/tension on the inside of your right leg, and up the left side of your chest. Putting a ball under your right foot can help you get this feel.

Re: the too inside move, imagine the shaft is a piece of chalk, and "draw a line" in your backswing that goes just inside the targetline, keeping the toe of the club 'up'. Feeling like your right palm faces the targetline/ball can help with that, assuming you have a proper grip (right palm faces target).

ej20

New
Try to imagine you're swinging a baseball bat at the ball when you reach the top.I find that once your backswing gets too long you tend to lose co-ordination and control.

I believe Faldo has a baseball style of swing and he rarely gets the club beyond parallel.

I was just working with my uncle on this today he is a scratch golfer and at age 48 still hits it like 300 yards he has a long swing even with his short irons. Try video taping or have a friend watch and try to make half swings with good extension and a full shoulder turn, but an arm swing that makes the club point straight up so you have an L shape look,when you actually swing almost everyone still gets to 3/4 though. I did this with my uncle and he felt like he was getting that half swing but he was still going like three quarters and just rifleing short irons at the flag with a much better trajectory. you also might wanna to stop at that half way point and check if your wrist is still flat because if your cupping your wrist that will lead to past parrelel at the top good luck

Brian Manzella

Administrator
First of all, if the club is past parallel at the end of your backswing it is SUPPOSED to be 'across the line.'

I would check to see if your spine is tilted toward the target, and that you had a flat left wrist and a bent (but NOT COCKED) right wrist.

But, you could be another John Daly:)

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by brianman

First of all, if the club is past parallel at the end of your backswing it is SUPPOSED to be 'across the line.'

I would check to see if your spine is tilted toward the target, and that you had a flat left wrist and a bent (but NOT COCKED) right wrist.

But, you could be another John Daly:)
Brian,I study Faldo's swing a lot and he talks about bending his right wrist straight back as well.I don't think there is another player that uses his right hand as well as Nick.He desribes his swing in incredible detail,so much so that I still don't totally grasp how he uses his right hand and wrist in the golf stroke.

You talk a lot about the flat left wrist but have'nt really gone into detail about how to use the right hand.Perhaps your description may enlighten me further.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The right hand should bend straight backward and not cock (up&down).

The right arm should be in the process of straightening at impact (but still be BENT) and straighten through the ball WITHOUT the right wrist straightening.[8D]

rcw

New
The right arm straightens by body rotation in swinging so you are not conciously trying to straighten it, correct?

rcw

New
If you are trying to use right arm thrust in a swinging procedure does it become 4 barrel? Do you find it harder to perform consistently than just allowing it to straighten?

By the way Brian, how often are you in New Orleans? I grew up in Algiers and graduated from LSU, I live in Houston now but I am back and forth all the time. I would like to get a lesson and watch you teach sometime. I just returned recently from Carmel to see Ben, he spoke very highly of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.