Should I teach a 12 year old girl a hold fade as her go to shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My niece is being forced into playing tournament golf this summer. She has zero interest in golf, but tons of talent. I want to give her a go to shot to survive this 'punishment'. Her natural shot shape is basically a pull draw that she angles back to the target. Ya or Na for teaching her an easy lil fade that she can just bunt around the course.

Certainly couldn't hurt to have in her repertoire. Being a pull drawer, I wouldn't think it'd be too tough a shot for her to add either. And if it makes her a better golfer maybe she'll be more interested.

If you're looking at long-term development, it may be good advice (an expert can chime in here) to focus more on power and rotational speed development. I don't really know if the philosophy behind a hold-off fade works in concert with that. It's easier to increase speed when you're young, so you might want to take that chance while it's there.

Now, if she still hits it just as far, or rotates just as hard (or even harder) in hitting her hold-off fades, then disregard my comments altogether.

I love this game and I am very luckly to be able to coach is a the JV level. It pains me to see kids forced to play it. I see it every year at tryouts. I would say that the most important thing for this young lady is to find a way for this game to be enjoyable. Shot patterns are not going to mean a thing if someone dislikes the game.

Sorry to threadjack, but how does one 'play' a pull draw? How much curve and left does the ball have after impact on a pull draw?

Sorry to threadjack, but how does one 'play' a pull draw? How much curve and left does the ball have after impact on a pull draw?

Aim into the next fairway?

I play with a buddy who literally aims 50 yards right and pulls it back at the target. His TrackMan numbers would be pretty eye-popping

I would have thought it was more important for her to develop a greater interest and more enjoyment before worrying about a go to shot.

My niece is being forced into playing tournament golf this summer. She has zero interest in golf, but tons of talent. I want to give her a go to shot to survive this 'punishment'. Her natural shot shape is basically a pull draw that she angles back to the target. Ya or Na for teaching her an easy lil fade that she can just bunt around the course.

I would teach her how to have fun while she is playing golf. If that doesn't happen it won't matter how much talent she has.

Yes, teach the girl a "hold-off" fade. The surest way to increase the interest of this girl who has no interest in the game and is being forced to play tournament golf is to completely change what she is presently comfortable with. Besides, no good players ever hit a draw :rolleyes:.

U got the smarts s-m. Good luck. Orthodoxy, natural development, small tweaks. Hope she can learn to enjoy playing. Buy her ice cream or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.