Should the PGA, USGA, R&A slow the ball down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
want to limit driver distances but keep the same ball? Put a length limit on the driver and also no loft stronger than 12*. That would be a cheap easy solution imo

I don't know Richie, unless they're used to define the boundaries of the real estate, I find OB stakes very annoying. I've unfortunately played some courses where OB stakes have been used as a lazy man's design element - that's just plain wrong.:mad:

I love the "hit it, find it, hit it" mentality, but can't stand the fairways and greens mentality as the way golf should be played. It's gotten to the point that the percentage of fairways and greens is equally as valued (especially in some circles) as what number you write down on the card. Those style points didn't used to matter and tracking them is only a fairly recent infatuation.

A point of pride is that "golf is now attracting bigger, stronger, faster athletes". Yet the popular notion is that "players are hitting it too far, bomb and gouge is not how the game should be played". You can't have the first one without the second one. Like every other professional sport, golf is evolving into a highly technical, violent, athletic motion.

Professional sport is about money and chicks, and chicks pay to see the long ball.:D

I love the "hit it, find it, hit it" mentality, but can't stand the fairways and greens mentality as the way golf should be played.

I understand what you're saying. I think people misinterpret my gripes against August the past few years for me thinking that fairways and greens are the way 'golf should be played.'

I really don't believe that at all. I think the way golf should be played is a combination of length and accuracy. If somebody hits it 350 yards, I don't think they have to find the fairway. They may put it in the first cut of rough or barely in the 2nd cut of rough. But when they are hitting drives off the grid and winding up just fine, that's when I take issue with it because you're not rewarding the shorter but accurate player.

That's one thing I generally enjoy about the US Open. Dustin Johnson is where he is today becasue he's super long and has been fairly accurate. If he's missed, he hasn't missed way off the fairway. If he was hitting shots off the grid, he may not even make the cut.

And IMO, O.B stakes are supposed to be annoying for the golfer. So are water hazards, bunkers, tiered greens, etc.

3JACK

The US Open has never been a "hit it anywhere" deal, on the other hand, Augusta has. I wish they would go back to wall-to-wall bikini wax for fairways. That course has always been about the accuracy of the approach shot. I've got no problem with driving it sideways in that major.

OB stakes should make the boundries of the course property, what's annoying is when they are used inside the boundries. Living in ATL, you know how ridiculous some of these sub-division tracks are with their OB's. H2O hazards, bunkers, and tiered greens are design elements and fair game. Using white stakes when there is no chance of going "off the course" is retarded, IMO.:)

Road Hole Lengthened and Flight of the PO DO

*There is a new tee for the Road Hole at St Andrews. It is 40 yds farther back and located on a neighboring range.
*In the early days Tour players were a part of the PGA of America, the club professionals’ organization. Balls were the exclusive domain of the professional shop selling for 75 cents each. That is, until Charles Walgreen came along. Walgreen started selling a three-piece, wound balata ball in his drugstores. It was named after his dog, Peau Doux and sold for 35 cents. Long-hitting Johnny Bulla endorsed the product and won a 1941 event at Riviera. Newspaper accounts praised the exploits of his “35-cent ball.” One advertisement claimed he averaged more than 300 yards in an exhibition and sales skyrocketed. The PGA was so incensed with him representing a drug-store ball that it tried to get Bulla kicked off the Tour. The controversy died with the outbreak of World War II. (Source: GOLF)

I would make the bunkering more penal, especially fairway bunkers, I see pros get into a fairway bunker and put it on the green easily, if they made the fairway bunkers deeper pros would have to be striaghter or else they drop shots, because they will be hitting a wedge back onto the fairway then an approach shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.