Shoulder surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to have shoulder surgery in the morning. I have a torn rotator cuff, torn labrum and something damaged on the bicep. I have been dealing with this for over a year since I had to choose between this surgery and elbow surgery and I chose the elbow first because it had a shorter recovery time. I have heard both good and bad stories from people on what to expect but to be frank I am really starting to get anxious, it's like waiting to walk the green mile or something.
Has anyone had this type of work done and how did it go?
any uplifting information would be nice to read.
Ric

Make sure the surgeon is shit hot. If he's not, cancel and find a shit hot guy. Surgery is like golf instruction: some guys can do it, and some guys can't.

Dr. Christopher Adams
Academic Honors:
Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
Mayo Clinic Orthopaedic Fund of Knowledge Award
Dr. Benjamin E. Obletz Award for Outstanding Performance in Orthopaedic Surgery
Presentations:
Grand Rounds at the Mayo Clinic
Mid-America Orthopaedic Meeting
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons National Meeting
In addition, Dr. Adams had the distinct honor of being chosen as one of the instructors at the first annual advanced shoulder arthroscopy course in San Antonio, Texas. Dr. Adams has been published in numerous peer-reviewed orthopaedic journals on articles related to shoulder surgery. While at the Mayo Clinic he published an orthopaedic review textbook.
my Doctor buddies said this was the guy they have or would go to.

oldpro

New
I didn't have it done several years ago because I retired from competition...however, having a left arm that is pure over-cooked pasta isn't any fun at all. Get-R-Dun is all I can say.

My girlfriends father had rotator cuff surgery for the second time in December. He was able to start taking practice swings in April, and come May he was right back into playing again. Just don't rush yourself man. Good luck!

Probably the only really good thing is that it so insanely hot in south Florida that I won't be torturing myself playing and practicing in 100+ degree heat index.

ZAP

New
Depends a lot on the severity of the RC tear and the location and severity of the labral tear. My guess would be that the labral tear is what is known as a SLAP lesion and it is related to the biceps issue for sure. If it is my uncle had a similar procedure done last November and he is starting to play again and is pain free. I hope you have a similar result.

Good Luck. At least you can come here and learn while you are recovering.

Pre-knife jitters are perfectly normal. It sounds like you've made an informed decision with the help of a top notch cutter. I bet you'll be back to the game, feeling great and swinging better sooner than you think.:)

I plan on visiting with BManz as soon as I am cleared to get back to golf. We have made so much progress in the last couple years I would hate to lose it.

I received a gift from amazon from "the golf pro", I really appreciate it but I am not sure who sent it.
I just wanted to say "Thanks" if they are on the forum
Ric

Well.....I'm near the end of PT and in the middle of rehab from my shoulder surgery. I had a torn Labrum, a very large tear in the rotator cuff tendon (2 1/2 in. wide tear) torn biceps tendon, detached supraspinatus, torn infraspinatus, and small tear in the teres minor. I did the damage 9 yrs ago and waited this long. On one hand, 9 yrs ago surgical techniques wouldn't have been this good. Otoh...perhaps the damage got worse in the 9 yrs. But I digress....

My advice is be religous in the PT...make it your job. The doctor will do his job, you do your job and the therapist will get you back all or most of the range of motion. My tear was about as large as they can repair...so it's 6 months until I can do anything like make a 'full' swing. I can pitch now but I don't....cuz I know me and I'd be hitting driver the second time I went to pitch. In my case, I may loose some range of motion because the tendon flexiblity was used to cover the tear, you may not lose any at all. But again, if you do what the therapist asks of you...you'll get all you can out of the operation. I am for the most part pain free now, as opposed to waking up every hour at night pre operation from shoulder pain....I do have some arthritis in the A/C joint that causes some discomfort (that was dislocated along with the other stuff). But I can deal with that by using ice. After the operation, I was in a sling for 9 days, you will suffer some atrophy...probably more than you think :).... don't rush anything in the healing process, don't plan on putting up any ceiling fans for 3 months or so...just follow orders, you'll be fine as you can be. EVERYONE I know that has had shoulder surgery in the last 10 yrs and had a bad experience......DIDN'T do what they were supposed to do after the operation. I recoginize that I don't personally know all people who have had shoulder operations and I'm sure there are some doctors that don't do a good job. Yours looks like a great doctor, you'll have a sucessful operation. Good Luck!

wow,
yours sounds severe. I have to wear my sling/immobilizer for 6 weeks but I do certain stretches now and I have been completing them daily with what I have been told is great success.
How long have you been out at this point?
thanks,
Ric

wow,
yours sounds severe. I have to wear my sling/immobilizer for 6 weeks but I do certain stretches now and I have been completing them daily with what I have been told is great success.
How long have you been out at this point?
thanks,
Ric

It's roughly 3 and a half months now. Candidly, it gets a bit difficult following directions when you feel better....and it gets a little grim when you can't do what you'd like to do. But as I suggested, just do what the doc and therapist suggest and you'll be fine. I would also recommend that you shop for a good physical therapist. Some are more dilligent than others.

I am fortunate that my friends are the doctors from this orthopedic group and they have been picking and setting up everything for me in a VIP manor. I hope yours is over soon.

Hey buddy,
Take no tension of your shoulder surgery... If your surgeon is most capable than you
will be got the better one result's after the surgery.... Best of luck buddy for the surgery...

Status
Not open for further replies.