Shoulder turn and Hand height

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian and y'all,

Does the amount of shoulder turn have an effect on how high the hands are at the top of the backswing?

Burner said:

When I stand in posture and (as a drill) load my wrists in front of me then push out away from the center of my body, the arms will rise to about chest height (comfortably). This will create a power package assembly in front of the body.

Then I turn my hips 45* and shoulders 90* with the package intact, my hands will then be at approximately shoulder height. If i turn to 120* my hands then move to head height.

Is this really that invalid?

Burner

New
Spike said:
When I stand in posture and (as a drill) load my wrists in front of me then push out away from the center of my body, the arms will rise to about chest height (comfortably). This will create a power package assembly in front of the body.

Then I turn my hips 45* and shoulders 90* with the package intact, my hands will then be at approximately shoulder height. If i turn to 120* my hands then move to head height.

Is this really that invalid?
We all have a natural end to our swing based on body type and flexibility and there is no reason in creation why we should try to go beyond it - there is nothing to gain in doing so.

Take up your address position - no club needed - and place your right hand so that it is on the target side of your left hand and touching back to back.

Make a full backswing. It is my guess that you will not have your hands much above shoulder height at the end of the backswing and that is as far as you need to go.

Staying within your natural parameters avoids all sorts of plane shifts, corruptions and the resultant compensations.

It works for me and a guy who knew Homer tipped me the wink.

Burner said:
We all have a natural end to our swing based on body type and flexibility and there is no reason in creation why we should try to go beyond it - there is nothing to gain in doing so.

Take up your address position - no club needed - and place your right hand so that it is on the target side of your left hand and touching back to back.

Make a full backswing. It is my guess that you will not have your hands much above shoulder height at the end of the backswing and that is as far as you need to go.

Staying within your natural parameters avoids all sorts of plane shifts, corruptions and the resultant compensations.

It works for me and a guy who knew Homer tipped me the wink.

Burnermeister,

I totally agree with you!!!

I just wonder about the geometry of it, say, in a stick figure type analysis.

My conclusion is that if the power package is assembled and aligned correctly at a 90* shoulder turn, then, when the shoulders turn further without disrupting the alignments the hands will be and look higher.

Am I way off here?

Burner

New
Spike said:
Burnermeister,

I totally agree with you!!!

I just wonder about the geometry of it, say, in a stick figure type analysis.

My conclusion is that if the power package is assembled and aligned correctly at a 90* shoulder turn, then, when the shoulders turn further without disrupting the alignments the hands will be and look higher.

Am I way off here?
I guess that if your left shoulder dips somewhat on a normal, 90*, backswing then the further you turn the more is the tendency for that shoulder to come back up again. Thus, the hands would end up higher.

Really....if you think about it......the highest your hands can be at the top is if your left arm is vertical (pointing up to the sky)....Geometry of the Circle...

So the closer you can get them to that....

And you'll need lots of shoulder turn....

So that's how it works....

But do you need to really? I guess that's the question.

birdie_man said:
Really....if you think about it......the highest your hands can be at the top is if your left arm is vertical (pointing up to the sky)....Geometry of the Circle...

So the closer you can get them to that....

And you'll need lots of shoulder turn....

So that's how it works....

But do you need to really? I guess that's the question.

I agree with you both. I don't think we really need to unless you can really pull and unwind to take advantage of the arc. Would that be reasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.