Simpson Shank

Status
Not open for further replies.
"if you swing the way I do, you're gonna shank it sometimes!" Webb Simpson

A lot of golfers can learn a lot from that statement

lia41985

"I get a little quick and I jerk it from the top a little bit" or something to that affect, maybe.

Golf is a sport that creates a lot of anxiety.

The "tug" seems to be a natural by-product of that.

Thanks for sharing, DC :)

whats crazy about it is he shrugs it off like its nothing. Its the most feared shot in golf, by far the most destuctive, one never knows when its coming out of the bag, and he just steps up and rips the next one. I teach some guys who, if they hit that shot, they'd be a basket case for a week

There have been times when I've been the Shank King. Two come to mind..
1. ProAm. Shank chip to right. Again. Again. (Pro said I was 'working my way around the green'. I think I laughed.)
2. Par 3 in Tournament. Severe downhill, 7I for me. Shank OB. Shank OB. Shank OB. Fat. Think I had a smooth 10.

If #2 sounds bad, here's bad. I shanked it again the next time we played the course. The next time we played, I hooked the sh*t out of the ball into the high stuff on the hill,, don't remember what I did after that.

Note: All of those were pre-Manzella/pre-Shields,, used to take club waaaay insde and flat.

whats crazy about it is he shrugs it off like its nothing. Its the most feared shot in golf, by far the most destuctive, one never knows when its coming out of the bag, and he just steps up and rips the next one. I teach some guys who, if they hit that shot, they'd be a basket case for a week

I know what you're saying. But if I burned my hand on the hob, I'd be sore, but I wouldn't worry that I was about to do it again...

It'd be interesting to review properly how WS's occasional shanks hurt him. I'm guessing that what hurts the average player isn't where their ball ends up. Is a shank really worse than a duck hook? What hurts is that they know they're going to do it again, and again...

thats my point, it s the MENTAL shot in the game, the one that stays fresher longer. But he didnt say like wow ive gotta fix this, he just goes, ah, it happens sometimes...damned weirdest thing i ever heard

I don't shank very often but my philosophy for the next shot is "don't shank this one as well FFS". It works a treat. ;)

I don't shank very often but my philosophy for the next shot is "don't shank this one as well FFS". It works a treat. ;)

I actually use those tactics. I find that when I talk myself into it, tell myself "Cmon, you're better than this", the next shot I hit is often a very good one. Or it's probably closer to what wulsy said "Alright, don't go embarassing yourself and shank another one in front of these people."

thats my point, it s the MENTAL shot in the game, the one that stays fresher longer. But he didnt say like wow ive gotta fix this, he just goes, ah, it happens sometimes...damned weirdest thing i ever heard
OK, got it now. First time through, I thought Lia had quoted WS. My mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.