Single Axis Setup..Pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

ej20

New
I have gravitated towards a single axis setup, ie.right forearm inline with shaft because this seems to work best for me.I get wonderful day to day consistency with my ball striking although the setup doesn't look orthodox.Hands are high and further away from body.I don't however,employ a single axis swing.

Does TGM recognise this setup and what are the pros and cons?

quote:Originally posted by ej20

I have gravitated towards a single axis setup, ie.right forearm inline with shaft because this seems to work best for me.I get wonderful day to day consistency with my ball striking although the setup doesn't look orthodox.Hands are high and further away from body.I don't however,employ a single axis swing.

Don't mistake swinging on plane with a zero shift with the teachings of the single axis instruction. Zero shift is just that up and back. SA teaches a different grip, club length and lie, shoulder rotation on take away and impact position. The real problem lies in the great rip off of Moe Norman. He is as far from what single axis teaches as any golf instruction out there. Besides Moe’s unorthodox stance and limited shoulder turn, he is as conventional as Lee Trevino.

Setting the right forearm on plane works with what Yoda calls the Magic of the right forearm take-away.
Watch Durant set up here:
http://www.golfswing.com/proswings/durant.htm

Is that SA? No- but right forarm is set on plane with shaft.

ej20

New
Yes,Joe sets up similar to me..high hands and "reaching" a bit(I reach perhaps a tad more).I wonder why more pros don't do this?Most setup with the hands directly beneath their chin and in some cases,beneath their throat eg.Peter Lonard.I simply cannot get any sort of consistency with that setup.

Yes,Joe sets up similar to me..high hands and "reaching" a bit(I reach perhaps a tad more).I wonder why more pros don't do this?Most setup with the hands directly beneath their chin and in some cases,beneath their throat eg.Peter Lonard.I simply cannot get any sort of consistency with that setup.
Yoda changed my set up, right arm on plane and I never looked back. Either type works, but know I don't have to make adjustments to set the sweet spot on plane using lower hands or a shoulder turn take-away like I did with my old low hands set up.
When I set up now, I feel like a warrior. Nothing negative in my head, I'm ready to hurt something - like that little Pro VI.

ej20

New
The way i see it is,the hands are going to be higher and further away at impact so why not set them that way at address?No excess compensation needed.

I reckon the pros can get away with it cos they practise and play so much.

When I work on the right forearm in line with the shaft, my right elbow has more bent, more tile to the right, the feeling is lower set up. I also remember in one of the thread, it taught about more right elbow bent for the right forearm in line at address. In here, it was mentioned that right forearm in line will have a higher hand and more stretch. Which is right? Will it depend on the clubs, golfer height, lie angle etc.?

quote:Originally posted by ryantiff

When I work on the right forearm in line with the shaft, my right elbow has more bent, more tile to the right, the feeling is lower set up. I also remember in one of the thread, it taught about more right elbow bent for the right forearm in line at address. In here, it was mentioned that right forearm in line will have a higher hand and more stretch. Which is right? Will it depend on the clubs, golfer height, lie angle etc.?
Certainly not more stretched. Moe Norman, as do all SA golfers have a long stretch on the arms. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder beacuse it looks funny to me.
When I set my right arm, my right forearm is set on plane with the shaft. Looks like one long shaft from clubhead to elbow. My right arm is set lower then my left arm. If you look from the back to the target, my right elbow is lower then the left with a slight gap showing. You can stick a club shaft through it. This is good because the right arm is on plane but and the left arm is always above the plane line.
BUT............ my hands are NOT low or lower then my old setup. My hands are higher.
Higher hands, lower right arm with a bend on plane with the shaft. SLIGHT tilt to the right. Yoda was teaching an A frame rather then a K frame. Golf is so full of seems to be. That's why we need TGM.

Mathew

Banned
quote:Originally posted by 6bee1dee

Don't mistake swinging on plane with a zero shift with the teachings of the single axis instruction. Zero shift is just that up and back. SA teaches a different grip, club length and lie, shoulder rotation on take away and impact position. The real problem lies in the great rip off of Moe Norman. He is as far from what single axis teaches as any golf instruction out there. Besides Moe’s unorthodox stance and limited shoulder turn, he is as conventional as Lee Trevino.

Setting the right forearm on plane works with what Yoda calls the Magic of the right forearm take-away.
Watch Durant set up here:
http://www.golfswing.com/proswings/durant.htm

Is that SA? No- but right forarm is set on plane with shaft.

The funny thing is that Moe actually uses as near to TGM's precision strong single action grip as they come.... I would however doubt that NG is using that grip. Natural Golf and alot of other SA companys(LPG for instance) are gimmicks riding on Mr.X and Mr.Y's hopes of good golf.

quote:Originally posted by cdog

6B, is your setup the same regardless of hitting or swinging?

Yes. No difference.

At first when learning to hit, I could only peform it from impact fix which is how some like to do it. The hitters stroke from impact fix feels like a direct line to the top and back down. But you learn to feel yourself move back through address, so I just start there- but not without finding impact fix once or twice durning warmups.

Status
Not open for further replies.