Snead or Dimarco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Bartlett said:
If we could bring Snead back in his prime, who would be better Snead or Dimarco???

It isn't enough for you to sport that awesome avatar, you have to say that! I don't know run, this might be the best one-liner on the forum!

Tom Bartlett said:
If we could bring Snead back in his prime, who would be better Snead or Dimarco???

This must be a poor attempt at comedy...

Dimarco is an "also ran," he gets to the big show, but refuses to sing.

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
Originally Posted by self-mastery
Yeah Yeah Yeah.... Get Real!

Unlike Snead and Hogan, Tiger can actually putt and has a great short game. No side saddling or anything like that.... Take two sloppy putters and put them on todays greens and you get two "also ran players."

I'm confused...The thirteenth best player in THE WORLD is an also ran and so is Snead (and Hogan) if they come back today, in your opinion. But, it sounds like you think Snead would be MUCH better than Dimarco, which would put him up there with Tiger. But, you just said he couldn't hang?

hue

New
Dimarco is better than he looks. I have watched him play live several times and he is very accurate with his iron shots. His pre shot movements and putting style don't look attractive but are very effective. He has missed a couple of majors that could have easily gone his way. He is way better than an also ran .

I agree with hue, Dimarco doesn't have the length of some of the "mad bombers" but man does he ever hit his irons tight. I put him in the same category as a Jim Furyk. What I like about him is that he is one of the few guys that I honestly don't think is scared when put in a Sunday pairing with Tiger. As to whether he is better than Slammin Sammy in his prime? That I would say "no" to.

coincidence???

bendet2 said:
I agree with hue, Dimarco doesn't have the length of some of the "mad bombers" but man does he ever hit his irons tight. I put him in the same category as a Jim Furyk. What I like about him is that he is one of the few guys that I honestly don't think is scared when put in a Sunday pairing with Tiger. As to whether he is better than Slammin Sammy in his prime? That I would say "no" to.

I just had lunch with a Titleist rep and we both had same thoughts about Furyk and DiMarco!

Tom Bartlett said:
Yeah Yeah Yeah.... Get Real!

Unlike Snead and Hogan, Tiger can actually putt and has a great short game. No side saddling or anything like that.... Take two sloppy putters and put them on todays greens and you get two "also ran players."

I'm confused...The thirteenth best player in THE WORLD is an also ran and so is Snead (and Hogan) if they come back today, in your opinion. But, it sounds like you think Snead would be MUCH better than Dimarco, which would put him up there with Tiger. But, you just said he couldn't hang?

Ha Ha! LoL! Nice checkmate!:D

self-mastery said:

He's been pretty clutch lately from what I've seen....has gone toe to toe with Tiger better than most guys. (most completely fold it seems)

I use to play against Dimarco in HS and he always could hit the ball, but as we all know he struggled with the putter. He hits it as accurate as anyone. Now I never saw Snead play, but I would think his short game was better than Dimarco's. I think that and length are what holds him back from being top 5. He has the mentality.

Other than Tiger I don't think anyone is more clutch.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Tom was making a POINT! :)

Today's top 12 US players (Ryder Cup Team) goes back to 1947.

Who STILL MAKE THE RYDER CUP???

Which players from that era KNOCK the modern guys off of the team.

And vice-versa.

?

Hmmmm.....

Here is the US Team:
Ben Hogan
Sam Snead
Byron Nelson
Jimmy Demaret
Herman Barron
Dutch Harrison
Lew Worsham
Lloyd Mangrum
Porky Oliver
Herman Keiser

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Here is another list!

1981 (And All-Time Best) US Tyder Cup Team
Lee Trevino
Tom Kite
Bill Rogers
Larry Nelson
Ben Crenshaw
Bruce Lietzke
Jerry Pate
Hale Irwin
Johnny Miller
Tom Watson
Ray Floyd
Jack Nicklaus

Who knocks these guys off their team and vice versa??

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
2006 US Ryder Cup Team

Tiger Woods
Phil Mickelson
Jim Furyk
Chad Campbell
David Toms
Chris DiMarco
Vaughn Taylor
J.J. Henry
Zach Johnson
Brett Wetterich
Stewart Cink
Scott Verplank

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Here are your humble host's selections....

In 1947 the US team was:

Ben Hogan
Sam Snead
Byron Nelson
Jimmy Demaret
Herman Barron
Dutch Harrison
Lew Worsham
Lloyd Mangrum
Porky Oliver
Herman Keiser

If the guys from 1981 weny back to try to qualify (Using 1947-era equipment), The team would be (remember, it had 10 players then):

Lee Trevino
Ben Hogan
Sam Snead
Byron Nelson
Jimmy Demaret
Hale Irwin
Johnny Miller
Tom Watson
Ray Floyd
Jack Nicklaus

The Current guys going back to '47:
Ben Hogan
Sam Snead
Byron Nelson
Jimmy Demaret
Tiger Woods
Phil Mickelson
Jim Furyk
Chad Campbell
David Toms
Lloyd Mangrum

wanole said:
Other than Tiger I don't think anyone is more clutch.

Get Real!!!

How does only having 3 career wins make you a clutch player?

History remembers the winners and not the guys that came close.

Who cares how many times you get close if you never can finish the job.

Dimarco is not a champion.

Last edited:
Tom Bartlett said:

I'm not big on calling placement players champions, regardless where they stand in the world ranking. In my mind and in the books of history you either win or lose. No one is going to look back 3o years from now and exhalt a guy that finishes 2nd in a tourney.

Winning is everything!

Snead is the all time leader in pga tour wins; Dimarco has what 3 wins...

Get Real!!!

I stand by my word, compared to Tiger and todays field Snead/Hogan wouldn't be as relevant as in their day.

Tiger Woods best ever!!!

self-mastery said:
Get Real!!!

How does only having 3 career wins make you a clutch player?

History remembers the winners and not the guys that came close.

Who cares how many times you get close if you never can finish the job.

Dimarco is not a champion.

No man.....he's been good.....he's battled....

He'll come through....

Status
Not open for further replies.