So am I on plane 'fair or square' or am I cheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=plcp&v=L-VchBbW1QY

I am a chronic underplaner in search of an on plane takeaway and backswing.

In the video I have produced 6 swings that are all above plane. I am concentrating on a full and early wrist c0ck. Only recently did I realise that I had no wrist c0ck, so this has been my Achilles heel, so to speak.

FYI, on plane to me is defined in terms of the shaft plane.

That I am above plane does not worry me a lot, as I figure that under pressure (i.e. match conditions) i will revert somewhere closer to old habits and hopefully be closer to on plane. At the moment I am just thrilled to be above plane. It's been a long time coming.

My question is: am I cheating to get on plane? Is there an inappropriate mechanism in my backswing or takeaway that is helping me to get up plane but is otherwise not good technique.

I can see that the immediate movement of the club is to get above plane. I have not got everything sequenced.

So am I on plane 'fair or square' or am I cheating?

Last edited:
Let me see if I can translate BMs somewhat cryptic comment.

Geoff, the important thing is that you have found a way to avoid being underplane. how you got there isn't as important as getting there...I couldn't see anything noticebaly wrong with your takeaway (no big 'popout' or arm disconnect or massively steep shoulder turn), so I say keep dong what you are doing.

An accurate elaboration/explanation???????

What is it about the backswing that make him look like someone who has been underplane all his life trying not to be? I guess he has underplane torso/arm factors and he is just moving the club more out and steepening the shaft, right boss?

Status
Not open for further replies.