Soft draw pattern minus the "toss"

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the SD video (Chapter 10) there's a lot made of the "toss." For someone in a NHA2.0 pattern and lots of FATS Brian is right - the toss does feel like throwaway. So here's my question....what would you have to do in order to hit a soft draw w/o the toss?

For one I think you'd have to swing a helluva lot further right and turn the clubface off the plane sooner - or not turn it to the plane on the backswing, whatever floats your boat. You'd get this big time vertical/angled hinge look and have to take the clubhead directly "up the wall" after impact.

All in all in just seems like you'd have to bend the plane line further right......somebody set me straight. :p

Obligatory Hogan pic

We've all seen this image before but this is basically what I'm talking about. Could Hogan have hit a draw from here?

hogan.png

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The toss, the drag, and the shove.

The "Soft Draw Pattern" just doesn't feature a lot of force across the shaft.

But it would easily work with a club the stays "up the left arm."

Ala Lindsay Gahm.

You can do the "Soft Draw Pattern" as is, keep the club up the left arm for a bit past the ball, and make the "one last point" slightly more left, and the ball will still draw, but will fly slightly lower.

Why?

Without the "Toss" the more bent right wrist will produce a more downward strike, which moves the TRUE PATH (the bottom of the D-Plane) more right that it would be with the toss.

The toss would have a more closed face, but a less inside-out path.

Follow me?

So, textbook SOFT DRAW 6-iron:
Plane Line inside-out 1°
Angle of Attack downward 4.5°
True Path ~4° inside-out
Clubface 2° open​

Trap Draw (what we'll call this revised pattern) with a 6-iron"
Plane Line inside-out 1°
Angle of Attack downward 8°
True Path ~6° inside-out
Clubface 3° open​

Slightly different draws, but still in the hole.

Now where else are you going to get that kind of answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.