Soft Draw Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian,

I went through the SD video recently and had a chance to hit a few balls with some nice results using SD concepts. I have just been re-reading Faldo's book.... "Golf - The Winning Formula" written around 1989. I hadn't touched the book for many years and was a little surprised to see some TGM "basis" to it..... especially as related to the hands and their motion during the swing.

As you talk about in SD, Faldo also refers to the right-wrist bend increasing on the backswing/transition and then reducing that RW bend as you return to impact to the "impact fix" condition. Faldo then says the RW bend post-impact shouldn't change (i.e. the right wrist doesn't flatten going to the finish). This is probably a "feel vs real" thing as his swing sequence pics in the book show a flattening right wrist after impact.

I've tended to maintain the increased RW bend that develops in the backswing all the way into impact (which I now think may account for some of the head "drop" that exists in my downswing). The slight flattening of the RW I used after watching SD felt good and I'm anxious to see if video shows me maintaining my "height" better with this pattern. If it does then your SD video has fixed something I've wrestled with for about 15 years now.

Faldo uses his right palm for clubface control (setting up with the palm parallel to the clubface). TGM uses the FLW as face control. Do you see a problem with using the right hand for both clubhead AND clubface control?

Robbo

Last edited:
Robbo, I too struggle with dipping, but I've never associated it with trying to maintain right wrist bend through impact, pretty astute observation.

Here's a good thread about the bending"cocking and uncocking" of the right wrist.

http://www.brianmanzella.com/forum/...ry-hold-lag.html?highlight=holding+wrist+bend

Tball,

Thanks for the link to the other thread. It's a pertinent topic for me as I've in the past tried to maintain accumulator lag way too deep into the downswing/impact. It led to some erratic ball-striking and I still slip back into it at times.

I've never thought much about RW angle changes even though I've seen how my angle tends to get more acute during transition. It was ironic to read about trying to "get rid of some of the bend during the downswing" in Faldo's book and then see it in SD just a few days later. Some of my dip is a too-shallow start down, but I think some relates to the RW bend also. Whether those 2 are in turn related, I don't know. I need to mess with this a little.

Thanks again,

Robbo

Status
Not open for further replies.