Soft Draw/Swivel Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand swivel doesn't affect the ball directly, but why does a "soft draw one last point" swivel make a swing "better"

I have looked at soft draw again today, and the "one last point" seems to have given me a much more solid contact and height with a wedge.

Is there anything specific this motion does to a golf swing to make it so beneficial?

Do different swivel types do different things to swings?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
To swivel correctly, you increase the odds that you will tumble the face over the ball "preparing" to swivel. That's my take.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
To swivel correctly, you increase the odds that you will tumble the face over the ball "preparing" to swivel. That's my take.

+1

It's what you did previously to the swivel that matters; the type of swivel you end up with is the RESULT of what you did before it. So sometimes if you focus on performing a certain swivel you will fix the "pre" action.

+1

It's what you did previously to the swivel that matters; the type of swivel you end up with is the RESULT of what you did before it. So sometimes if you focus on performing a certain swivel you will fix the "pre" action.

That's awesome, thanks for the reply guys. I "think" I get it.....

What would your take be on swivelling correctly Kevin? At "one last point" to the target/left/right?

My arms are actually "exercise" sore this morning after hitting balls with the soft draw one last point. And my net I have in my garden has been absolutely fine to hit a wedge into. With more toss and the "one last point" swivel I'm glad there are a few trees at the end or there would have been a 60 yard wedge in my neighbours house at 1am this morning ;-) Straight over the net, flushed.

Is the NSA wedding ring up swivel actually the "one last"point but to the right? A tour pitch the exact opposite?

And is our desired swivel position at this point just a better way over the "hinging" idea?

Last edited:
In my own personal interpretation of the SD pattern (I've studied it a lot), both the toss and the one last point are trying to get you to do the same thing - that is, to make the proper release for the SD pattern, given the setup and takeaway you have already executed.

What is interesting is that for me, the toss is not helpful at all. When I think about tossing, I just get flippy. For other folks, I am sure the toss is crucial. But the cool thing is that if I execute the backswing and counterfall and then move from there to the "one last point" I find myself in a pitch elbow position along the way. But if I try to PUT myself in a pitch elbow position, I do all sorts of AWFUL things.

So after spending about 3 years working on the SD pattern in various ways, I now feel like I have my own, personal, modified version of SD. It starts out just the same, but it eliminates the toss, it interprets the counterfall somewhat differently (I have to make sure not to counterfall such that I get stuck), and it adds just a bit of COFF material (I need to make sure I pivot hard through impact with actually fairly quiet hands). The great thing about Brian's teachings for me is that he puts patterns out there that are designed to be customized. My customizations wouldn't work for other folks (I have a tendency to be handsy, and I can flip my way to single digit handicap golf), and I'm sure other folks have modified Brian's patterns in ways that would only mess me up. But we can all work from the same patterns.

Status
Not open for further replies.