Soft shaft adds loft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone is playing with a very stiff shafted club and can barely get the ball in the air would changing to a softer shaft add extra loft to the club at impact or would it be the reverse and actually hit the ball lower? I've heard both arguements that the club will be flexed open adding more loft and the shaft will snap shut at impact thus reducing the loft - which is true?

Thanks in adv

Depends on the shaft profile and release point. The reason who've heard both arguments is because both can happen. The grouping of shafts by flex letter is a terrible way to understand how they perform.

If someone is playing with a very stiff shafted club and can barely get the ball in the air would changing to a softer shaft add extra loft to the club at impact or would it be the reverse and actually hit the ball lower? I've heard both arguements that the club will be flexed open adding more loft and the shaft will snap shut at impact thus reducing the loft - which is true?

Thanks in adv

The head might have a bit more lead when using a softer shaft (if the release is not to early) and therefor a bit more dynamic loft but we are not talking in degrees but in tenth of degrees.

More important is his swing. His swing values might be such that fitting can not improve his ball flight.

If a person can't get the ball in the air then you should be looking for a lighter shaft and a club head with a lower center of gravity. Possible be looking at grapfite with more hybrids in the bag verse long irons.

I think the only true way to answer your first question is to properly fit them up and see the ball fit. Boo Weekly is now using a 39 gram shaft from Cleveland and his driving distance and accurate both went up. Who would of ever thought that was possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.