some observations in myself... help me figure out how to fix....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, after some practice the past 3 days, I have come to a few conclusions...

one, im not open enough at impact with my hips, I read a post earlier that said you want your zipper to be pointed at target at impact... all the great players do it. How the hell do I do this, Im starting to wonder how flexable I am... because it seems I cant get myself to do this through impact. Im sure I can, because I can open my hips at impact and have a square club face, in a still position. how do I connect my arms to my lower body in a full swing situation though? that seems to be my biggest problem. Drills? Ideas?

For a long time, because I didn't properly understand the golf swing, I was completely square hipped at Impact. Hence flipping through impact.

Im going to get confessions very soon, because I am breaking down, and realizing, I need it badly... however, can you guys start to point me in the right direction, maybe using some drills from flipper, I have a tournament coming up, and I am at a little bit of a loss right now...

couple of drills

You could try one of two drills :

1) Place a small stick through the belt loop of you left hip (if your a righty) so that the stick pokes through about a foot and a half past your hip and just in front of the ball. You should be able to take you normal adress position and the stick should be a couple inches from your left forearm. If you make the correct downswing the stick will stay ahead and your arms wont crash into the stick.

2) place two balls in front of the ball that you intend to hit. The first ball should be about a foot and half in front of your "Real ball" and a coulpe of inches to the inside. The second ball should be a foot and a half from the first and a couple inches inside aswell.( not the best diagram! hope it helps)

The idea is that your belt buckle hits your real ball first, then when your belt buckle is at the second ball your hands are at your real ball, then when your belt buckle is at the last ball your hands are at the second and your clubhead hits your real ball.

Hope this help

I did get your idea, I think im going to try the stick idea... that sounds like a good drill for me.

Thanks for the idea goley.

keep them coming.

suggestion

The first thing to determine is if your weight is actually on your target side foot on the downswing. It is really difficult to rotate the hips properly through the impact area and into the finish without any weight moving into the target side foot. hope this helps

sideyard, I think what your asking is if I am reverse pivoting... the answer to that is, I dont think so, but its going to be something I will look into...

question by the way, that stems from what sideyard brought up.

when you transfer the weight to your target side foot, do you do this with a pushing motion with your back foot (right foot for you righties) or, is it another motion all together?

question by the way, that stems from what sideyard brought up.

when you transfer the weight to your target side foot, do you do this with a pushing motion with your back foot (right foot for you righties) or, is it another motion all together?

i think u roll your left foot alil out to your heel.

The shift back to the target side foot feels like a falling back motion to the target side foot because of the proper hip slant created in the back swing motion. This is what I feel in my swinging motion. Hope it helps.

good news is, I'm hitting the ball a mile, farther than I have ever hit it... however I'm hitting some pretty nasty hooks still, while clearing my hips. I think whats happening is I'm coming in with a severely closed clubface... which is weird, because about 3 years ago I had this exact problem, hitting the ball a mile, but I was starting to play a draw/hook, and I HATED it, because I am a natural fader of the ball. The way I fixed it back then, was not a good method, and led to 3 years of struggling to find the distance I lost, and fighting an overcooked fade, so... How do I fix this problem this time around, without killing all of the good stuff assosiated with the swing I now have?

good news is, I'm hitting the ball a mile, farther than I have ever hit it... however I'm hitting some pretty nasty hooks still, while clearing my hips. I think whats happening is I'm coming in with a severely closed clubface... which is weird, because about 3 years ago I had this exact problem, hitting the ball a mile, but I was starting to play a draw/hook, and I HATED it, because I am a natural fader of the ball. The way I fixed it back then, was not a good method, and led to 3 years of struggling to find the distance I lost, and fighting an overcooked fade, so... How do I fix this problem this time around, without killing all of the good stuff assosiated with the swing I now have?

Manzella nuetral grip and hold those hands at the top during transition. The latter should help you swing more left after impact.

Manzella nuetral grip and hold those hands at the top during transition. The latter should help you swing more left after impact.

So when I get to the to of the backswing, feel like Im holding my hands there while my pivot starts the downswing?

at the range today, I was 100 percent improved from the last outing. Still had some pulls in there with draws, no hooks! the driver was faaaaaar and strait. I fixed this by opening the clubface more at address, however I would slip back into a more closed clubface (because of the past few years of overcooking the fade) and hit the pull draw. I am going to re look into my grip as well, I think it has gotten slightly stronger from working with the soft draw pattern.

Thanks for all your guys' help, it really has helped take away some of these nasty habits that were starting to creep into my swing.

If anyone else wants to chime in, go right ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.