Sources on Clubfitting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a book by Tom Wishon called "Common Sense Clubfitting". I have read a good bit of it in the few hours that I have had it and my review thus far is that it is REALLY AWESOME, a little pricey, but worth it. I'm sort of a Tech Gearhead for some things and this book is right up my alley. Anyone know of any other books or videos that is approaching the level of this book?

footwedge

I recently bought a book by Tom Wishon called "Common Sense Clubfitting". I have read a good bit of it in the few hours that I have had it and my review thus far is that it is REALLY AWESOME, a little pricey, but worth it. I'm sort of a Tech Gearhead for some things and this book is right up my alley. Anyone know of any other books or videos that is approaching the level of this book?

Wishon has some videos on youtube that you might like.

I bought those today:) Anybody else out there publishing the same quality stuff? or is this guy pretty much the Manzella of Golf Clubs and fitting/building?:)

He's probably as foremost of an authority as anybody out there. I'm sure the major OEM's have designers and research guys who are incredibly knowledgeable, but they are not making any books. As far as those on par, I'd probably take a gander at Ralph Maltby.

Some of the problem is like golf instruction, there's a lot of different opinions on clubfitting and clubmaking, and the arguments often get just as heated.

3JACK

How do you know when you are ready for this type of fitting? When you have the money? It's a big investment, what if your swing changes? Will I ever be good enough with the clubs I have to make this leap?

I've assembled my own clubs and done the shaft experimentation, swing weight thing. Did it back in the early 80's when I couldn't afford to play better clubs. Maltby was the authority and had just entered the components business.

When I returned from my 10 years of no golf, I did the Henry-Griffiths custom fitting thing. Purchased the full set of irons and woods. Played with them for one season. Clubs were fine, but I started getting back to old form (better).
So these clubs are gathering dust.

I have also had two different clubmakers attempt to fit me for a Driver. No joy, and no purchase. Simply terrible. Doesn't mean you can't find a good clubmaker, but who has the time?

I bought a set of Titleist 695 CB's on e-Bay for $600. Asked around and found the best guy in town. After some launch monitor work, we decided on Project X 5.5 1/2 over Titleist Standard and 2 up. Bought Vokey wedges and he did the same shaft replacement on those clubs. Everything is pured and frequency matched. After my lesson with Brian, I had them bent more upright on his advice.

Of course it depends on what is available locally, but seems to me that you can now get really close by using the new interchangeable shaft systems from Titleist, Nickent and others. My experience with Driver fitting is that the
fitting is free if you buy the club. I did the Driver fitting a couple of years ago. The difference between shafts with the same head is really quite amazing. We did the indoor launch monitor with multiple combinations, but he didn't share the results. We took the top 6-8 combos to the range and hit them. It turned out that the combo with the best data played the best in blind testing on the range.

The fitting thing is very important.

I'm getting fit

I'm going to get fit for irons next year. I had my newly found club guy build me a driver about two months ago. He got all my numbers(TRACKMAN) and built a driver for me, pured it, frequency matched it, the whole bit and this was before I had my last lesson with Brian and we changed alot of things with my swing. Now the changes Brian and I made are working and I feel very comfortable with them and I feel like I can control the ball alot of the time. With the old swing I hit various traj. and shots and didn't hit it all that far for my swing speed. Now, I pound it(40 yard difference) with a good traj. and boring ball flight and I use the same driver as before. This is because my release hasn't changed much and my clubhead speed hasn't increased more than 8 mph, the change of direction didn't change much either so there was no need to change the head, grip,weight,or shaft etc. The things that Brian and I changed in my swing helped my geometry and didn't really change my "dynamics", if you know what I mean. I'm waiting on the iron and wedge stuff until after Brian and I both are happy with my swing, which I think is now, but I will wait until next year. The price is about the same, give or take a couple of hundred, but what you get in return for the investment is much better. I think I'm losing shots right now because of my irons, wedges and putter and it's because they aren't fit to me. I'll NEVER buy off the rack again.

Last edited:

bcoak

New
Wishon's forum has a wealth of information. IMO, his forum is like this one with respect to depth of knowledge and participation by Tom and Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.