Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

holenone

Banned
quote:Originally posted by denny.

Where is the clubheads greatest speed in swinging and also in hitting.

Maximum Clubhead Speed is achieved almost instantly at Release for both Swingers and Hitters (2-M-1 and 6-F-0). The Clubhead does not pick up Speed during the Release Interval (the Overtaking of the Hands by the Club). Instead, it tends to slow down!

Swingers use the Body Pivot as a Rotor to accelerate the Left Arm. This generates Momentum Transfer (from the Rotating Body into the extending Radius of the Left Arm and Club per 2-K) and the Throw-Out Action of Centrifugal Force. This combination virtually eliminates Clubhead Deceleration during Release, and as a result, the Clubhead maintains a constant speed into Impact.

Hitters, on the other hand, use the Body as a Launching Pad from which to Drive the Right Arm. Hence, Momentum Transfer is unavailable to prevent Release Deceleration. Therefore, the Timing and Trigger Delay of the Right Arm Thrust become critical in preventing a massive slowdown of the Clubhead during Release. Learning to handle this Release Deceleration problem is one of the biggest stumbling blocks the Swinger must overcome when learning to Hit.

For both Swingers and Hitters, Impact is a violent collision of Ball and Club. Since the Ball hits the Club as hard as the Club hits the Ball, the Clubhead decelerates significantly. The Ball's mass is about one-fifth (20 percent) of that of the Clubhead, and so the Clubhead's Approach Speed is slowed to approximately 80 percent at Separation. It is important that this Impact Deceleration be minimized because in addition to its own 70 percent Coefficient of Restitution, the Ball picks up 100 percent of the Clubhead's Speed at Separation. In this department, the only defense is the familiar mantra of The Golfing Machine...

Sustain the Lag!

as a golfer and a stupido I saw thanks for that post holenone.

Im trying to hit after swinging my whole golfing life and your exactly right, the timing of the right arm thrust has been tough to get right. would the feeling of getting my right shoulder moving more towards the ball help to delay the right arm thrust?

Does the release consist of just the right arm thrust and left wrist uncock?

DDL

New
Question about speed. To maintain the integrity of the endless belt effect, I assume the hands are swinging at a constant speed all the way to followthrough. DO the hands acclerate and increase velocity, or do they maintain a constant steady velocity? ANd if constant, when is this velocity first realized? At release, end of right shoulder thrust.? I alwasy hear and read the term 'acceleration', but is there really an acceleration?

The right shoulder thrust startdown seems and feels to me like a throwaway motion, where max velocity is reached at teh beginning , then slows down.

Now that I have incorporated swivel into my swing, it feels that my right arm overtakes (passively) my left arm through release , impact, hinging and beyond. First feel this overtaking when #4 pp is released at around release point.TO me, it seems like a byproduct of swinging all the way through to swivel, not just down and out, but also up and in.

My hand speed used to slow down considerably just going down and out, but it felt like my clubhead was accelerating quite a bit. Very interesting and informative your above anlysis, that the clubhead velocity does NOT increase from release onwards. Still feels like my clubhead is accelerating though impact, but less than before, now that I focus more on up and in and swivel. Probably means my hands are still slowing down.

I believe the speed of the hands during different points of the forward swing from the Lag Loading proceedure (10-19) through the release of the Power Package (10-20) each create different accellerations from the start of the forward swing through impact. The speed of the hands is not the same from top (section 6) to the downstroke (section 8). The type of trigger you have probably says a lot about your hand speed. Study 10-20 carefully and you'll see some mention of this.

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by holenone

Maximum Clubhead Speed is achieved almost instantly at Release for both Swingers and Hitters (2-M-1 and 6-F-0). The Clubhead does not pick up Speed during the Release Interval (the Overtaking of the Hands by the Club). Instead, it tends to slow down!

Sustain the Lag!

Are you saying that the club is slowing BEFORE impact? Or just that there is no further increase in speed and it is steady until impact slows it down?

This is one of the most interesting and confusing aspects of the swing. We know that the hand speed should remain constant in the pulley end of the endless belt. However, we also know that the club seeking the in-line condition with the left arm(COAM) causes a slowing of the hands. The answer would seem to be that you should accelerate the hands just enough to recoup the loss of hand speed due to COAM, causing a net effect of the hand speed remaining constant. This might explain the "talent" aspect of good players - a good inate sense of "how much" to keep the hands moving through impact.

EdZ

New
One of the reasons I like the grip advocated by Alex Morrison. It allows you to keep up hand speed longer and still keep lag while not having to slow down the hands to square up the face. Schlee took this to the extreme.

Like all things in the swing, each approach is a trade off in some way or another

I'll relate this to baseball as I think the same principles apply. Maximum speed should be reached just before impact, if not, club throwaway is probably present. Speed will decrease at impact, no matter who you are. Bonds, Sosa, and the rest of the big baseball hitters lose far less swing speed after contact, it's not that that they have such greater swing speed before impact, it's what they can sustain. Here's the secret of why some bomb it 300+ and some dont. The key to power and distance is the speed sustained after impact. Homer must of understood this, this is the reason a hitter does not straighten his right arm until after impact, thus hitting through the ball. Make any sense?

Ariz,

Yes, separation speed is what counts, and it's preserved by keeping your left wrist moving ahead of the left hand moving ahead of the clubhead. Homer warns against "quitting".

DDL

New
Chuck Evans has a drill on his site where one grips the clubhead end,makes a swing, and attempts to have the swishing of the butt end occur after the impact point. Quite difficult(impossible) to do. I gave it a few tries and haven't practiced this drill religiously. One is supposed to imagine the hands reaching greater speed after impact. This drill could work out better if one incorporated and focused on the finish swivel instead of impact.

Heh.. the good ol "Swish" drill. That was the very first drill I was ever taught, and I still use it today.

bts

New

At the initial contact, unless the "lag" is still being sustained at separation and beyond, I imagine.

cdog - Just after seperation. You want the club to still be accellerating through impact. This sustains the compression of the ball on the clubface much the same way you compress into the back of your seat when you accellerate your car.

Ringer,

That can't happen. Separation speed is AT MOST 80% of impact speed due mainly to collision losses. So if the impact speed is 100 mph, the BEST you can do is 80 mph separation speed. The speed drops off further after separation.

cdog

New
Ringer, i agree......but when should and when its possible is 2 different things.
This is a question asked by Chuck on his web site, they keyword Should...

EdZ

New
The best, in theory, is that you have enough speed increase through the ball to at LEAST maintain the current, pre-impact, speed through separation. To offset the collision. Part of the problem with this question is that we aren't dealing with just speed, we are dealing with FORCE, and mass is important too!

Supporting impact - not just 'bouncing' the clubface off the ball

Sustain the line of compression - drive the nail through the ball

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by EdZ

The best, in theory, is that you have enough speed increase through the ball to at LEAST maintain the current, pre-impact, speed through separation. To offset the collision. Part of the problem with this question is that we aren't dealing with just speed, we are dealing with FORCE, and mass is important too!

Supporting impact - not just 'bouncing' the clubface off the ball

Sustain the line of compression - drive the nail through the ball

Exactly; which is why Extensor Action and maintaining the Flying Wedges Assembly through Impact are so important.

Status
Not open for further replies.