Spikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggsjpc

New
How much power has been lost in the golf swing since the advent of soft spikes? I recently put on a pair of old shoes with spikes and it is unreal how much harder you can swing and how much more you can use the ground to generate speed.

Any thoughts just for fun?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Worst Invention of My Lifetime.

Soft Spikes.

Yuk.

I remember the first time I played in a tourney with the stupid plastic pieces-o-crap. It was wet and cold, I spilled all over the place and shot 5 shots a round higher than my usual in those conditions.

I came back home and played awful for the next two weeks.

Couldn't break 78.

One Sunday morning, I forgot my shoes, and my buddy Mark Nunez had an extra pair that fit me perfect.

I shot 67.

It took until the next day, when I put my shoes back on with the stupid pieces of plastic JUNK screwed in, that I realized why I had hit the ball further and straighter the day before.

NAILS!!!!

Boy I wish golf would go back.

How much power has been lost in the golf swing since the advent of soft spikes? I recently put on a pair of old shoes with spikes and it is unreal how much harder you can swing and how much more you can use the ground to generate speed.

Any thoughts just for fun?

Hmmmm......and if get out my old softball cleats how many more yards :D

One step further, my old goalie skates..... :eek:

Last edited:
The new spikes are much, much better.

I always practice on the range with sneakers on, figuring if I can balance myself and 'grip' the ground with those on, then it will carry over to the round.

I wish golf could go back, for now I figure we'll just have to wait until technology gets it right.

3JACK

ggsjpc

New
Soft Spikes.

Yuk.

I remember the first time I played in a tourney with the stupid plastic pieces-o-crap. It was wet and cold, I spilled all over the place and shot 5 shots a round higher than my usual in those conditions.

I came back home and played awful for the next two weeks.

Couldn't break 78.

One Sunday morning, I forgot my shoes, and my buddy Mark Nunez had an extra pair that fit my perfect.

I shot 67.

It took until the next day, when I put my shoes back on with the stupid pieces of plastic JUNK screwed in, that I realized why I had hit the ball further and straighter the day before.

NAILS!!!!

Boy I wish golf would go back.

Brian and all others,

Do you think there are good things someone can learn from practicing with spikes that would transfer over to when they wore non spikes and what would that be?

Here's embarassing. I had cold turkey quit golf for 10 years. My St. Louis customer, company owner, told me, in no uncertain terms, that I would bring my clubs because we were going to tee it up. So I dug out the clubs, I couldn't really remember the brand until I saw them. Wilson Staff irons, and I forget the woods, but vintage 1992 or thereabouts. I took them a club guy and at least had the grips replaced.

So I show up at the plant for a week. Middle of week he announces we are playing. This is the high cotton guy who belongs to Old Warson. I put on my vintage 1994 Footjoy Classics with the metal spikes. They looked brand new because I had purchased two new pairs just prior to quitting. We are standing in the Pro shop, and someone notices my spikes. A look like, "What century are you living in, you boob?

The locker room guy is summoned and in no time, at no charge, the spikes are replaced with softies. I played badly that day, but the spikes played a minor role.

Just a quick questions about soft spikes. In your opinion, who makes the best soft spikes currently on the market?

I can speak with some authority on this subject as I worked for the largest mfg of plastic cleats for the past 10+ years (until July 09).

The 1st few iterations of plastic cleats were "terrible" in both terms of traction and wear.

With the introduction of the Black Widow in 1999, traction and wear became much less of an issue. The current selection of cleats provide excellent traction (maybe not quite as good as metal in some instances) and are good for maybe 15 to 25 rounds of golf.

The majority of all golfers on the major tours (PGA Tour, LPGA Tour, Nationwide Tour) wear plastic cleats by choice (metal cleats are allowed on the tours above at the players option). This is per Darrell Survey.

I remember both Curtis S and Johnny M blasting plastic cleats whenever a player (wearing them) would slip on a shot. Funny how cat got their tongue when a player wearing metal would slip.

Don't think Hogan was wearing plastic when he slipped on the 18th hole at Olympic that probably cost him his 5th US Open.

All that said above, the biggest problem that players have with slippage is not keeping fresh cleats on their shoes (be it metal or plastic).

I switched to plastic in mid 1996 after playing in the US Senior Open at Canterbury Hills (Ohio) due to the difference in comfort (I would get terrible shin splints wearing metal). For the remainder on my SR Tour Career (thru the end of 1998), I wore nothing but plastic and never had any traction issues.

Bruce

Just a conspiracy theory but I can't help but think that metal spikes no doubt were more durable too and thus people didn't have to shell out as much dough on replacements.

(more money for golf shops and companies)

Dang...

Hey - Maytags don't last as long as they used to either - in marketing terms - "built in obselesence" - just like that Callaway or TM drive that is only "good" for 6 months (till the bring out the next model).

Why don't the rules allow a spike mark to be fixed on the green? Do metal cleats really do that much damage to the greens--if people can walk right with them?

They did and they do. I hate to say it, but it wasn't so much the younger players as seniors who would drag their feet on the greens and leave incredible marks. There are some,however, in the superintendents' business who think metal spikes helped aerate greens. Others feel that the length of the spike was insufficient for any long term benefit. The majority feel that, on the whole, soft spikes have made for much better putting surfaces. As to fixing spike marks it's primarily a pace of play issue.

There are some,however, in the superintendents' business who think metal spikes helped aerate greens. Others feel that the length of the spike was insufficient for any long term benefit.

i wouldn't think they would do much good since they don't remove a "plug" of turf.

They did and they do. I hate to say it, but it wasn't so much the younger players as seniors who would drag their feet on the greens and leave incredible marks. There are some,however, in the superintendents' business who think metal spikes helped aerate greens. Others feel that the length of the spike was insufficient for any long term benefit. The majority feel that, on the whole, soft spikes have made for much better putting surfaces. As to fixing spike marks it's primarily a pace of play issue.

I asked a friend of mine who works as a greenkeeper about the 'aeration' of metal spikes and he said anybody who thinks that is downright insane and that in the last 20 years they've kept the same aeration schedule.

I think what summed it up for me is when he asked 'if we allowed metal spikes would you be okay with us aerating less?'

Point taken.

I really don't see where a person could gain an advantage practicing on the ranges with metal spikes and then going to the course and playing with soft spikes/plastic cleets. Maybe outside of giving the feel of what it's really like to actually grip the ground and something to strive for.

3JACK

Just a final note on this..
I think you may find a difference if you use a wider stance width..
If you use a narrow stance, you will find minimal difference...
Watched a guy hit over 350 yards in bare feet the other day, but he had a narrow stance....

Status
Not open for further replies.