Spine angle up then down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an issue with spine angle in my backswing. My head/neck raises up about 2 to 3 inches at the top of my backswing and my tailbone tends to move closer to the ball to maintain balance. On full swings most of it happens relative close to the top, but I've noticed that I have a tendency to do some of this on partial swings as well.

After start-down my spine angle drops back quite quickly so that I'm close where it was at address by the time I'm 1/3 way down (at least when I'm hitting the ball good).

I've had this in my swing a long time. I've sometimes tried to get rid of it, but I do not seem to be able to do much about it. Even if I try not to do it, some of it is still visible when you look at on video.

It also feels that my swing is more dynamic if do not try to limit that up/down motion. Maybe it's partly due to my inflexibility and/or my inability to use my lower body to power the pivot.

Is this something that I should try to get rid of and if so, I'd welcome suggestions what to do about it.

I can try to post some video later on if that would help.

Up/down & no axis tilt, right shoulder down plane , loosing lag too early - what else and what to do about it?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mlB1rwaii0U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mlB1rwaii0U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ub8UUAKR_nw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ub8UUAKR_nw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Looks like you can't rotate your left shoulder under
your chin, so you rotate everything, including your head,
around to the right. You need to stop rotating your head
to watch the clubhead. This simply allows you to make more
of a turn back with less resistance. Sort of a compensation
for lack of flexibilty. I know first hand about what this
does to a swing, as I sometimes fight this tendency.
Some Pro's do this pre-shot, but they don't do it in actual swing.

I would forget about axis-tilt, etc. and work on flexibility. Unless
you have some sort of injury, you should be able to improve
your ability to coil your upper body in the back swing. Currently
you are just rotating upper and lower body in a reverse pivot.

I also think you are really over-doing the Lagging Clubhead Takeaway
thing. Good drill, but maybe a little less on actual swings would help.

Last edited:
Looks like you can't rotate your left shoulder under your chin, so you rotate everything, including your head,
around to the right. You need to stop rotating your head
to watch the clubhead. This simply allows you to make more
of a turn back with less resistance. Sort of a compensation
for lack of flexibilty. I know first hand about what this
does to a swing, as I sometimes fight this tendency.
Some Pro's do this pre-shot, but they don't do it in actual swing.

I would forget about axis-tilt, etc. and work on flexibility. Unless
you have some sort of injury, you should be able to improve
your ability to coil your upper body in the back swing. Currently
you are just rotating upper and lower body in a reverse pivot.
Thanks for the feedback.
Watching the clubhead - not good.
Should I try a steeper shoulder turn there too?

I'm probably one of least flexible people out there. I do some stretching daily, but it is not enough for me. For example I can only bend my wrists back about 45 degrees and even with pressure they do not bend to 90 (something I'd forgotten to work on though). I have and old injury in my right shoulder, but that shouldn't affect by backswing.

I also think you are really over-doing the Lagging Clubhead Takeaway
thing. Good drill, but maybe a little less on actual swings would help.
Lct comes so naturally now that I do not even notice it. I used to cock/bend wrists early and fan the clubhead open. Lct really helped to cure this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.