Squaring the club face?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the downswing takes approximately .3 seconds, how long into the downswing do we have to initiative the torque that will square the club face? Nicklaus liked to say that he was "releasing" the club from the top. So, if needed, should the first move "down" (for someone learning to square the club face properly) be to get the club face squaring to the path as soon as possible?

Can I put the club face "on the movie screen" behind me on the downswing? If so, what is a good way to incorporate that with the correct hand path from the top? Does any of that make any sense?

Personally i don't even think about it, generally it squares up for me as long as my downswing starts correctly.

But therein lies the issue...... What is "starting the downswing correctly," and does this mean different things to different golfers? (It must, right?)

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
...and does this mean different things to different golfers? (It must, right?)

Yes. Different for different people, however even if i start with too much carry (fault for me) i'll still close the face and hit pull. I've always felt if you have a good grip and don't have the club face too open if you start your downswing somewhere remotely close to the plane it will close itself but that doesn't mean it will create the d-plane you want to hit the shot you need.

I tumble late and turn the knob early to hook.

I tumble early and turn the knob late to slice.

In between somewhere is my straight shot and I'm getting better at it the more I work on the other two.

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
Why is later better? More speed?

As a general rule of thumb, the better players do it later because of what is taking place earlier. The transition and early downswing acceleration rates are going to be the deciders in when the wrists do their thing

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I tumble late and turn the knob early to hook.

I tumble early and turn the knob late to slice.

In between somewhere is my straight shot and I'm getting better at it the more I work on the other two.

If you can actually "feel" this, i'd argue you have a bad "plane angle" for you. Just my preference but i think it's way easier to adjust stance and plane line to get something to draw/fade than start with a lot of variation in tumble and/or hand rotation.

If you can actually "feel" this, i'd argue you have a bad "plane angle" for you. Just my preference but i think it's way easier to adjust stance and plane line to get something to draw/fade than start with a lot of variation in tumble and/or hand rotation.

I can do both, and in some cases at the same time.

I can change the plane of my swing and the clubface rotation of that swing. Plus I can change ball position as well as alignment.

You may think adding extra things to monitor may make it more difficult, but what is really difficult is having no intention at all to manage clubface control and path. Your brain can't work on "nothing". It has to have something to do, or else it will find something to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.