Standing too far from the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
For years, I have stood too far from the ball. I am fixing that issue now, but as I move closer to the ball, I hit shanks. I realize that this has more to do with how I am used to backing the club up to square it than the actual distance from me to the ball and where the hosel is in between.

So, what new movement do I need to incorporate to square the clubface?

Also, a small additional question. Why would a wider stance facilitate a more upright (less left arm rolling/right arm folding quickly) backswing?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
For years, I have stood too far from the ball. I am fixing that issue now, but as I move closer to the ball, I hit shanks. I realize that this has more to do with how I am used to backing the club up to square it than the actual distance from me to the ball and where the hosel is in between.

So, what new movement do I need to incorporate to square the clubface?

The probability is that your shaft is steepening to much to accommodate the new closer ball position. And it now has to LAY DOWN LATE to get to the ball. That equals more right clubface.

You are going to have to lay it down earlier and stay closed with your body longer coming down.

Also, a small additional question. Why would a wider stance facilitate a more upright (less left arm rolling/right arm folding quickly) backswing?

Less turn.

Plus, it is always a balancing act swinging a club.

Stay closed with the body longer coming down. These words may be pure gold for me! Thank you. I'll report back.

How far a from ball should one stand? Thanks

There are a few old maxims that I'll pass along, but you would be better off with an answer from one of the Manzella men.

Old wisdom - The butt of the club should be 1 hand's length (approx. tip of thumb to tip of pinkie) from the belt buckle.
Old quote - "It's possible to stand to close to the ball, but nobody ever does" - Ben Crenshaw

Brian Manzella

Administrator
You need to be far enough from the ball to be able to position yourself for a on-plane (the functional swing plane) delivery and close enough to get your left shoulder WAY further from the ball at impact and still strike it solid.

1 (2 sort of) additional question:

What is the muscle or joint that needs to be flexible to allow the right elbow to stay in position during the backswing, as opposed to releasing "behind" the torso? And how do you stretch that out so that there is less tension on the right shoulder area?

I'm going to edit this question:

My position at the top loses it's integrity, so to speak. At shoulder high, the position isn't perfect, but it isn't off the charts awful either. But as soon as the club passes that point, the right elbow moves laterally behind the body, the left wrist bends (not sure which is the cause and which is the effect), the clubhead gets open, across the line and past parallel (yes, with short irons). From there on, I steepen it and then back it up. Impact and follow through feel cramped as can be and divots point way right.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.