Starting Out Teaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to get this going this winter.

Hoping to get into the dome this winter...will have to talk to the manager and/or owners.

I hear they do not have people on staff but am unsure of this.

Just on the side for now. I have a permy job...and can reduce to fri/sat availability if needed. (Liquor sales spike on weekends!)

I plan to start at a low price point, gain exp, garner pos word of mouth.

Need to develop better playing reputation too...

Any tips regarding getting into teaching?

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
What methodology are you going to use? lol Only Joking.

Get your deal right with the venue first and then start promoting yourself.

Teach people what they need with no BS and you will do well!

Good luck. It's tough to get in anywhere. They usually offer lessons to the guys working behind the counter as supplementary income. That means you'd be taking money from them in their eyes.

greenfree

Banned
I would like to get this going this winter.

Hoping to get into the dome this winter...will have to talk to the manager and/or owners.

I hear they do not have people on staff but am unsure of this.

Just on the side for now. I have a permy job...and can reduce to fri/sat availability if needed. (Liquor sales spike on weekends!)

I plan to start at a low price point, gain exp, garner pos word of mouth.

Need to develop better playing reputation too...

Any tips regarding getting into teaching?

Dress nice and drive a sick car, oh! get rid of the beanie...lol. just kidding :D Good luck.:)

Ok, here's real world challenge.

It's 2 question's that definitely will be asked by any owner/manager
of any golf facility you will be approaching for permission to teach.

"What makes you think you can teach golf? What are your qualifications?"

Not challenging you to post a response. I'm just reacting to your post, which
gave me the impression that you haven't done your homework on this new endeavor.
Seems to me that you need to really size up the playing field and ask a lot of questions.

Sounds like you aren't giving up your day job, so that makes it much less risky.

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
Ok, here's real world challenge.

It's 2 question's that definitely will be asked by any owner/manager
of any golf facility you will be approaching for permission to teach.

"What makes you think you can teach golf? What are your qualifications?"

Not challenging you to post a response. I'm just reacting to your post, which
gave me the impression that you haven't done your homework on this new endeavor.
Seems to me that you need to really size up the playing field and ask a lot of questions.

Sounds like you aren't giving up your day job, so that makes it much less risky.

This is only the case at the best run facilities, unfortunately most teaching jobs are by reffferal rather than ability. Be as nice and as non threatening as possible. If they think you are a threat they wont take you on. This comes from experience, as basically the better they think you are their automatic human response will be to be scared of you. Play it low key.

Steve, that makes sense. Who you know, or get to know is how the world works.
The last thing the existing instructors want is more competition.

I was in NY on business this summer. There was nice driving range across the Hudson river.
Went there after work every day. There was an instructor on the lesson tee pretty much every
day. I went over, and got to know him. He had been a head pro at a high end club in the
area for years, making high five figures. Club was sold and he was on the street.
He had known the family that owns the range since he was in his twenties. As he put it, "If I didn't have this connection, forget about it, I would be tending bar in the city." He was about 50 years old, with years of experience and connections. Said he was there 12 hours a day 6 days a week and not exactly raking it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.