Steel Shafts In Rescues, FW Woods, and Driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently play DGX-100's in my irons (Ping S59 Tour's) and have "adequate" length with them. I hit the 7I around 165-170 yards and then move in about 10 yard increments each way with the rest of the irons. My other clubs (a rescue, a 3W, and the driver) all have stiff graphite shafts.

I like the way the irons feel and the ball flight that I get with them so I'm considering putting X-100's in the woods/metals as well. Is anyone doing that anymore? Is it likely I'll lose enough distance to make a difference? I feel like my game has stagnated of late and that I've gotten too wrapped up in the "length wars" resulting in some overswinging and inconsistency on my part. I'm willing to give up a little for the added consistency.

Erik_K

New
For a little while, Tiger played with a steel shafted driver, then switched to graphite and just about everyone on Tour is doing that way now.

Going from steel to graphite (say 7iron steel to 7iron graphite) is pretty big change for most. I played steel for years and recently I was custom fit. It turns out that I simply felt more comfortble with a graphite shaft in the iron I was using. So this is somewhat objective. Just keep in mind that for most people, those steel shafts are going to feel heavy to you and will take some time to get used to.

vandal

New
I don't think there is any reason or adantage to having steel-shafted woods, except for your hybrids. If you're getting that much out of a 7-iron then your driver must be in the 275-285 range with the occassional 300. If it's considerable less than that check your mechanics and then go to a clubfitter to look at changing out your dirver shaft with different one that more matches your swing.

Thanks for the inputs. I'll be trying out a hybrid tomorrow that has the DGX100 in it (a friends) to see how it compares to mine.

Vandal - your right about the driver distances. Those numbers are just about right. (I've been looking for the right shaft to put in my 983K and am still experimenting some).

Robbo

Status
Not open for further replies.