Stiff back producing open clubface?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a 4 handicap player with good stats but every once in awhile when I feel stiffness in my back, I will leave the clubface open and hit a squirter out to the right. How can I protect against this? I always make sure I have a good left shoulder turn but its the strangest thing that it will happen right in the middle of a great round. I need your advice on how to make sure it doesn't happen-its embarrassing and costly.
great site, thanks for your help.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
You are resisting the SWIVEL of the clubface both TO the impact interval and beyond.

Try hitting some shots with your right toe pointed inward, toward the ball and let me know how the ball flies when you do.

Thanks Brian for the tip and I will definitely try the toe in thing and let you know. However, I don't think you are suggesting I do this toe in thing as part of my routine set up, so my question is why am I resisting the swivel of the clubface on the throughswing?
a. Is the stiff back somehow causing me to hit at not through the shot?
b. If I know why I am doing this, I can take steps to build insurance into my swing when I feel stiff to make sure I don't do it.
c. Perhaps just making sure I swing through the shot will do it.

Bill Melhorn(Yoda mentions this ) told students to put rt.thumb in ear on follow through.
The tricky part of rolling left arm is two things:
#1 Shaft and left arm stay radially in line(flick swingyde set it at 2 o'clock not 12 ------will hit on left wrist on backswing and followthrough . Also known as flat left wrist.
#2 Must maintain Homer's concept of Rythm (body, arm and club travelling at same rpm's).

Status
Not open for further replies.