Stop the TOP (Teaching Women)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would very much like to hear what instructors that contribute to this forum have to say about TOPPING.
More specifically, WOMEN that TOP.

Root causes? Best fixes?

and maybe just some general discussion on instructing women...

Thanks in advance

at least on part shots/wedges - I find that thinking about the follow through just helps me catch it thin.

I get much better contact just dumping the clubhead into impact. You don't need to bury the leading edge in the turf, you can just thump the bounce into the ground and let impact absorb a chunk of clubhead speed.

I'd guess most women sweep rather than hit down and through. Much easier to learn to top the ball if you associate any significant divot with a chunked shot.

Ladies (as Brian is alluding) tend to sing there arms across low going back and also stand very erect. If you get them to bend over and swing there arms UP then they will swing 'em down. IMO

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Get them open at impact...moves low point. If they're strong enough, you can try to get them to tumble the club but most can't do it. A little right arm across the shaft has worked for me. Women shallow it out and chicken wing to avoid hitting the ground with the best of them

The R path, low VSP crowd are getting that treatment and the tumble, open body, more lift and drop lesson is the fix.

However, that Left arm shrinkage theyve used for soo long is hard to break even upon implementation of the upgrades..
Plus I really think there is a fear of the ground with most new to the game women.

Status
Not open for further replies.