Stressing the shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I am told that I have a good looking swing, make decent contact, but do not get the distance I should. I feel that i do not stress the shaft enough to add that extra kick. How can I add stress to the shaft without changing my swing too much? Any thoughts?
Jimmy

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Hmmm, my guess is that somewhere...maybe at the top, your face is a little open. When you bend the shaft in the transition, most people will have an opening influence on the face. If you dont naturally downarch your left wrist, make sure the face is okay. Then do a youtube search for Brian show, i think episode 2(?). It talks alot about the "umbrella drill" and how to get some bend or stress in the shaft.

Another possibility is your backswing could be a little arm dominated and you're getting a little rebound at the top resulting in a loss of force into the ground.

Tongzilla's 10 Ideas for Getting More STRESS!

A few thoughts off the top of my head...

1. Use your bodyweight to step on your right foot on the takeaway
  2. Delay your wrist cock to as late as you can manage.
  3. Get your hands on a wider arc on the backstroke.
  4. Have you wrists fully cocked at the beginning of the downstroke rather than at the top of the backstroke.
  5. Make sure the angle between your left shoulder and left arm decreases on start down.
  6. Have a bit of "arm lift" at the top of the backstroke.
  7. Get a nice firm grip on the club but allow your wrists to be as free as possible.
  8. Swing a little bit outside-in.
  9. Have the quickest tempo you can manage.
  10. Feel like the clubshaft is pointing at the sky at the top of your swing, and pointing at the sky half way down your downstroke.

Jimmy,

When I first read your post, I got the impression that you were thinking that some extra shaft "kick" would increase your clubhead speed. After seeing some of the responses, I may have misread your intent. Not to make this into a science discussion again, but I think that the clubhead kick factor has been shown to be pretty much negligible in increasing clubhead speed. Stressing the shaft to me is more of an indicator of a properly executed swing - so it's more of an effect than a cause. Maybe that's what you meant...if so, carry on.

Jay

If in fact you don't stress the shaft enough, check the speed of your back swing. I'd bet you too slow.

I watched Woody Austin talk about his "SLOOOOOWWWW" back swing on Learning Lessons last night!! While he may not have Tiger's pace, he'd be able to hit two shots in the time a club golfer hit one. That tip wrecks most players.

Slow backswing = crappy golfer (or super short hitter)

If in fact you don't stress the shaft enough, check the speed of your back swing. I'd bet you too slow.

I watched Woody Austin talk about his "SLOOOOOWWWW" back swing on Learning Lessons last night!! While he may not have Tiger's pace, he'd be able to hit two shots in the time a club golfer hit one. That tip wrecks most players.

Slow backswing = crappy golfer (or super short hitter)

cmartin, I see what you're trying to say. But I would say slow backswing + early set + slow transition wrecks golfers, rather than just slow backswing itself.

Hi guys,
i do have a very slow backswing and transition. it matches by easy going personality.
i will try to speed it up a bit as soon as we lose the 15 inches of snow we now have. thanks for all your replies and keep them coming.
jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.