Stretching bad for golf? read and react :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

natep

New
The golfers only hit three balls. Way too small of a sample to be relevant, imo.

I could hit three shots, smoke a cigarette, and hit three more slightly better shots and conclude that smoking cigarettes improves your swing.

I guess people should believe everything they read. I also heard of a weight loss pill that promises to loss all the weight desired with added 6 packs abs with no portion control, zero exercise and no side effects. I will continue to stretch for the rest of my life and as I get older, I plan to increase my stretching program.

And even if this were 100% valid, it would only be valid pre-round. Post round and off day stretching are still important to improve and maintain flexibility/range of motion, and most of us know that an appropriate level of flexibility is important for an efficient swing, as well as injury prevention.

So you probably shouldn't give up stretching altogether.

That may not sound like a great study, but I tend to agree with it. I found when doing martial arts that stretching up for a long time (static stretching) made me go kind of wobbly, and I noticed a similar effect with the golf swing.

The most effective program I found involved warming up by duplicating the actions of my coming activity, gradually increasing the speed and range of motion - dynamic stretching. Too much static stretching always seemed to interfere with my athletic action, and it was better to train for flexibility itself at a separate time.

When I first became certified to teach in a gym (around twenty years ago) we were required to teach subjects to stretch at the beginning of a workout. Personally, I found this to lead to the shi**iest workouts, with low weights, poor control, and few gains. It appears to be now accepted that stretching slows down the muscle for a time; perhaps 30 minutes, maybe up to an hour depending on how hard the subject stretches.

I have suspicions about stretching, and wonder how many golfers have 'lost their swing' through too much static stretching. If I had a well grooved, high performance golf swing, I would look to keep it in that groove. That is not to say I am against stretching completely, just saying it has a place, and more research is needed on the subject.

That may not sound like a great study, but I tend to agree with it. I found when doing martial arts that stretching up for a long time (static stretching) made me go kind of wobbly, and I noticed a similar effect with the golf swing.

The most effective program I found involved warming up by duplicating the actions of my coming activity, gradually increasing the speed and range of motion - dynamic stretching. Too much static stretching always seemed to interfere with my athletic action, and it was better to train for flexibility itself at a separate time.

When I first became certified to teach in a gym (around twenty years ago) we were required to teach subjects to stretch at the beginning of a workout. Personally, I found this to lead to the shi**iest workouts, with low weights, poor control, and few gains. It appears to be now accepted that stretching slows down the muscle for a time; perhaps 30 minutes, maybe up to an hour depending on how hard the subject stretches.

I have suspicions about stretching, and wonder how many golfers have 'lost their swing' through too much static stretching. If I had a well grooved, high performance golf swing, I would look to keep it in that groove. That is not to say I am against stretching completely, just saying it has a place, and more research is needed on the subject.

Good response Jpeck!
Static stretching is very good after a workout or in the evening to "shut down" the central nervous system and really allow for a good stretching of the fascia tissue. It is, however, not a good thing to do prior to a round or workout. Shorter, dynamic stretches of increasing ranges of motion are the way to go at those times. If you read "Core Performance for Golf" by Mark Verstegen, it gives quite a few good dynamic stretches.

I think you need both static and dynamic stretching before a round. Static to get the kinks out and get you inside the body, dynamic for rehearsal and muscle warming. Dynamic without static can lead to injury in my experience .

Would be interesting to the science from biomechanist.

Drew

I would have to search for them, but I have seen past studies that athletes should warm up before stretching. When I ran track in high school, a kinesiologist had us run a couple of laps before we stretched.

ZAP

New
Just guessing here but I am pretty sure there are a couple more scientific studies out there on this subject. Something about golgi tendon organ and Journal of Science and Sport Medicine.

Dynamic stretching i.e. "Movement Prep" so termed by Mark Verstegen, is ideal before a round or your workout followed by static stretching after. Foam rolling and "regeneration" is also very important to preserve the quality of the muscle. You can foam roll before a round or workout as well as after.

There have been studies done that report a decline in strength and speed after static stretching just before the activity.

In my experience, static stretching and yoga can cause instability. And there are more injuries in yoga than in any other sport, apparently.
Try slacklining or wobble board stuff to strengthen the integrity of your hips and core.
Righting reflex is balancing on an unstable surface. Tilting reflex is on a stable one. Plus, balance drills teach FOCUS more than anything...the brain thinks death is near and goes into hi def...The Zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.