Struggling with open hips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am amazed at guys like Rory Mc, Bubba, DJ and Mahan by how open they get their hips at impact.

I have always struggled with having hips that were practically square to the target at impact. Thanks to the soft draw pattern and never slice again I have dramatically improved my swing but my hips are still relatively square and when i try to open them more it results in big pulls or at best a 15 yard fade (I used to play a draw).

Do I have too open a clubface? Not enough axis tilt? Swinging too far left?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I've always wondered how much flexibility has to do with how open the hips can get before they start to drag the club left. If you've ever seen a kid or woman who swing well, their hips are often very open. Could that be your issue? If it is, you'd likely be better off not worrying about it until you increase your flexibility, or make adjustments that allow you to play with more open hips (play a fade, or aim more right so that the club goes less left). My 2 cents.

Sorry I dont know how to edit the video down. Go to 1:30 to see the swing.

Flexibility is definitely not my issue (I was once referred to as gumby).

This site has helped me so much. It makes me sick when I think about what I could have accomplished as a junior/college golfer if I found Manzella about 10 years ago. When I look at my swing now I cant believe what Im seeing. I used to have a super flat, shut, laid off backswing, square hips coming down and somehow played to a plus one because I practiced more than anyone and had an amazing short game.

Whoa that's crazy, you've already turned your head down range when you're not even halfway through your downswing. It looks like your hips are a little open through impact. Why do you want them more open?

That video was him attempting to be more open johnny.

I'd like to see the normal version of your swing drunk. Are you trying to get your hips more open just for the sake of having your hips more open? Seems like you may be over-doing it just a pinch.

but my hips are still relatively square and when i try to open them more it results in big pulls or at best a 15 yard fade (I used to play a draw).

Nice swing!
IMO, you need to swing to your heels

Thanks Matt. Less carry and swinging more on my heels started the ball a little less left and it nows seems that I am playing about a 5 yard fade which I am thrilled with.

I owe a lot to Brian and this site.

Thanks

Turns out what helped even more was incorporating "the toss" and "the one last point"(or at least the feeling of both). I am now able to hit a draw but the standard ball flight is straightish or a soft fade.

Thanks guys

You should post up some video if you get the chance sometime. I'd love to see your results! Whenever I attempt to open my hips more I those pulls and fades like you used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.