Stumbling Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of hesitant to post this, but will anyway. For about 2 weeks now I have been playing the best golf I ever have. Of course, this comes at a time when I can't get out and play much so this is based on range time and a couple days of 7 holes and one with 9 holes. I was even on one of the 7 hole days, one over on the other 7 hole day, and one over on the 9 hole day.

I have only broke 80 a few times in about 18 years of playing, so this is a terrific improvement and one I hope I can continue with for a long time. So, you may be wondering, why is this guy rambling about his success?

It all started because I went about trying to implement most, if not all, of the information gained here and Michael Jacob's site while hitting my 3 wood off the deck while standing a little taller at address, vertical hand path, going normal, and a little bumpy back. I could do all that originally with the irons and hit it well, but not with the woods. So, I became determined to figure out how to hit the damn 3 wood off the deck correctly. The biggest revelation was the out toss. I could not hit the 3 wood to save my life until I remembered the out toss. And that translated well to the driver as well.

So, just wanted to say thank you to Brian and the forum and the contributors here and see if anyone else has their own story of a swing revelation.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Before I got my hand path lower than a snakes balls I couldn't hit it in the ocean. I still mess it up but that's the main revelation.

Glad to hear of your personal improvement spktho. My story is simular. My usual round seemed to always get blown up with three or four bad holes, leaving a score often above 90. Last four rounds were 88, 83, 85,and yesterday a 73.

This site with all the contributors deserve a huge thank you. My swing revelation falls between going normal, not tugging and starting to understand the D-plane. But to be honest, when I realized that its pretty hard to change what I do in my swing, it left me with trying to find the proper ball placement at set-up for each club. I struggled big time with the driver, opening up the face about 30 degrees to keep it in the fairway. Only missed four greens in regulation. Pumped to say the least.

Club against the right hip drill feel from the below plane/increase the vertical swing plane
video has helped me a bunch.
To name one thing.:)

When I go to the range now, I warm up swinging the orange whip, then go straight to the 3 wood. If I can hit the 3 wood well off the deck, it seems that I can hit any club in the bag well. I guess that may be why it feels like I'm stumbling around and feel like I found something. The difference from the past is those findings would usually only last a few days, then I would be back to feeling lost. But, this new thing has lasted longer, even after not hitting a golf ball for a few days, I do the above and it's like point a shoot with all the clubs. I feel like I can actually feel the correct clubface path or downswing plane for each individual club after finding it with the 3 wood off the deck. It is a foreign feel for me, but I like it.

So for the members reading this, is there a particular club, feel, or shot shape that when you can hit it consistently, you know you can hit any club or shot as well?

When I go to the range now, I warm up swinging the orange whip, then go straight to the 3 wood. If I can hit the 3 wood well off the deck, it seems that I can hit any club in the bag well. I guess that may be why it feels like I'm stumbling around and feel like I found something. The difference from the past is those findings would usually only last a few days, then I would be back to feeling lost. But, this new thing has lasted longer, even after not hitting a golf ball for a few days, I do the above and it's like point a shoot with all the clubs. I feel like I can actually feel the correct clubface path or downswing plane for each individual club after finding it with the 3 wood off the deck. It is a foreign feel for me, but I like it.

So for the members reading this, is there a particular club, feel, or shot shape that when you can hit it consistently, you know you can hit any club or shot as well?

Strangely enough it's partial wedges for me. Or alternately any iron longer than a 7. The feels that work are right elbow away from my body at the top, let it drop, then get the bottom of the grip to pass the top as fast as I can.

art

New

Dear spktho,

Thanks for posting your progress, it is also very encouraging to me. As you have read, IMO, TEMPO/RHYTHM, and lower body dynamic balance and stability are the cornerstones for a balanced and repeatable swing, and something every golfer desires.

The orange whip 'taxes and probably stresses' your dynamic balance, while at the same time establishes the TEMPO/RHYTHM for you 'that' day, which may be different tomorrow. As a result, when you grab your 3 wood, your body has established a reference for both tempo and balance. I have actually tested golfers that for many different reasons 'lose it' during either a practice or playing environment.

My first choice ALWAYS is to ask them to take a few continuous back and forth horizontal swings, lowering the plane slowly to their natural swing plane and energy level. I point out that the purpose is to RE-ESTABLISH these crucial cornerstone characteristics, and not just do as I call them 'push-ups', or exercise. The results as with your recent experiences are the same as their best swings and results return, after just a few minutes of what I believe is the body being given the opportunity to re-optimize itself.

Thanks again for sharing your success with all of us,
art

As soon as I step up to my first range ball I know if it's going to work. The first little pitch shot I hit with my sand wedge seals the deal. Never fails. It's either perfect or it's like I've never hit a ball in my life.

...or it's like I've never hit a ball in my life.

I was constantly there. Until now.

So far, and I hope it doesn't end, that's the best part about me and that 3 wood off the deck. I can start off hitting the greatest ground balls up the middle, move to the best necked 20 yard fades you'd ever seen and then hit the greatest pull duck hook that never gets higher than 3 feet off the ground--and hit the horse corral that's in the neighbor's yard next to the driving range. But, now within about 5-10 balls working on what was mentioned above, I'll be pretty much on target with every shot after.

What is club against right hip drill?
Take your grip half way down the club then put the grip end on your trail hip so the club rests
Against your hip and the club head is straight in front of you like you were going to play
the ball way back in your stance. Then swing the club head past the ball. This reminds me
to not over stretch the lead arm with the lead shoulder and it also gets the club head 'around
the corner, for the line up to impact.

Take your grip half way down the club then put the grip end on your trail hip so the club rests
Against your hip and the club head is straight in front of you like you were going to play
the ball way back in your stance. Then swing the club head past the ball. This reminds me
to not over stretch the lead arm with the lead shoulder and it also gets the club head 'around
the corner, for the line up to impact.

Thx Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.