Suggestion for Symposium Terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbl

New
I have watched a fair number of event videos and posts, and hear the word "science" used a lot. Or even the 'science of the swing.'

Some critics challenge the use of that word, since science generally refers to the scientific method, and testing of hypothese etc.

I think in many cases, a better term, to me, for what is happening in a swing is 'physics.' What force, what percentage of weight, what torque etc are involved? Measuring these things and getting experts input on them revolves around the physical parameters of a swing. So we could refer to the "physics of the swing."

A valid use of the term science would be if a swing methodology claimed use of some physics principle, like conservation of angular momemtum...sure then one could refer to the scientific theory/principle involved in the swing.

However, it seems to me about half of the symposium-type questions concern measurements, and for those a better term than science would be 'physics' or 'measurements' or even just 'data.'

Of course, others can try to clarify teminology even better. Just an idea.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
You want terminolgy, here is some....

I have watched a fair number of event videos and posts, and hear the word "science" used a lot.

Some critics challenge the use of that word, since science generally refers to the scientific method, and testing of hypothese etc.

Basically, there is theory, there opinion, and there is science.

the·o·ry

A proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.

o·pin·ion 

a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

sci·ence 

A branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws: the mathematical sciences.

A systematic knowledge of the physical or material world.

natural science

A science or knowledge of objects or processes observable in nature, as biology or physics.

en·gi·neer·ing 

The art or science of making practical application of the knowledge of pure sciences, as physics or chemistry.

phys·ics   

The science that deals with matter, energy, motion, and force.

bi·o·me·chan·ics

The scientific study of the role of mechanics in biological systems. The study of biomechanics includes the analysis of motion

We have a physicist—Dr. Paul Wood.

We have an engineer—Dr. Aaron Zick

We have a biomechanist—Dr. Rob Neal

I am very comfortable with calling the symposium...

An attempt to interject REAL SCIENCE into a profession full of JUNK SCIENCE.

dbl

New
phys·ics   

The science that deals with matter, energy, motion, and force.

This strikes me as the closest, because when dissecting the swing there are a bunch of forces being measured. Heretofore, there were really a lot of guessing going on, but the experts will be able to review what they have measured.

Furthermore with good data, and with good modeling maybe some theories will be supported or disproven, and maybe some new theories created. And yes junk science will be eliminated.

Btw, I'd surely like to attend. It sounds great.

Status
Not open for further replies.