Suggestions for Fixing Path/Face issues w/out Trackman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem: I can "read" my results: too much in-out...too much face closed to path = way too much right-to-left, especially with the Driver. No easy access to Trackman, etc. Suggestions?

T

TheScotsman

Problem: I can "read" my results: too much in-out...too much face closed to path = way too much right-to-left, especially with the Driver. No easy access to Trackman, etc. Suggestions?

I think you've answered this for yourself: decrease the in-out club head path angle... adjust the face angle until the ball stops hooking (more open)... ball back an inch or two... repeat until you get a feel for these angles.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
If you have an old driver you don't care about, use it to hit drivers off the deck until you hit some nice shots. Then put it back on a tee and replicate the results. Finally, once you feel you're fixed go back towards a bit more in/out to regain distance.

Brian: I thought when I posted that someone would recommend NHA. I have both COF and Never Hook Again 2.0, will re-visit NHA immediately, but confess to having trouble with "the carry."

If you have an old driver you don't care about, use it to hit drivers off the deck until you hit some nice shots. Then put it back on a tee and replicate the results. Finally, once you feel you're fixed go back towards a bit more in/out to regain distance.
This helped me a lot. Except I care about my driver and the sole is now scratched to caca.

S

SteveT

I feel for you, because you are in for a lot of trial and error and error and error before you can visualize D-plane results based on your swing and club feeel. Just keep plugging away until you can get results by elimination. That's what I did when I crafted my homemade swing scientifically... with a little help from Jones, Hogan, SPS, SLAP, LAWs... even Homer's misconceptions, i.e. what not to do.

Patience, commitment and hard work will reward you... believe it.

A lot depends on when your clubface is closed. All the way or just flipped closed at impact

I know this has a lot to do with my swing. What I really struggle with is not flipping or rolling when getting the face closed earlier which also makes the ball go left to left.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I know this has a lot to do with my swing. What I really struggle with is not flipping or rolling when getting the face closed earlier which also makes the ball go left to left.

Are you closing or tumbling your arms early as well? Hard to flip or roll it more from there.

Erik_K

New
how about the same question for slicers...

Can't hurt to perhaps provide the same insight for the people who are steep, swing out to in, etc.

I was just going to start a post about this yesterday. If your ball is hooking:

How do you know if it's "really" a hook or if you flipped it closed? Hard to fix if you don't know (at least for me). thx

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I was just going to start a post about this yesterday. If your ball is hooking:

How do you know if it's "really" a hook or if you flipped it closed? Hard to fix if you don't know (at least for me). thx

Most of the time a "flip closed hook" is because you are already swinging too far right and you're flipping it closed to try and save it. Both are hooks to me

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I could always get a junker from the thrift store, no big deal. I never knew hitting driver off the deck was dangerous. Makes sense now.

Well i mean you could damage your driver/shaft/even yourself if you do it REALLY WRONG lol. Nothing like having a $500 plus driver and practicing off the deck with it and snap, there goes your shaft or thud there goes a dent in your driver haha.

If less inside out is your goal, put a head cover or towel behind the golf ball and inside it. I use that drill for in out shallow and I've seen it help

Can't hurt to perhaps provide the same insight for the people who are steep, swing out to in, etc.

A hooker is only closing the face to the path because the path is too rightward. He must fix the path first.
A slicer only swings too far leftward because the face is open. He must fix the face first.

Status
Not open for further replies.