Suggestions for Fixing Path/Face issues w/out Trackman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One way to cure a hook is to try to hit the big banana.
The easiest way for me to hit the big banana is to tug the shoulders more towards the target then the hips.
Now I devote my available muscle memory to my spine angle.

S

SteveT

I think that may be the case too. Along with too strong a grip at times--it just feels good to me to grip it strong:eek:.

Yes.... a strong, cupped lead wrist feeels secure.... but when do you flatten it out in your swing, because centripetal force and "going normal" will stretch out you lead arm and wrist at impact....... unless you force your lead wrist to stay cupped through impact and that will affect final release action.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Anybody else want to take a crack at this one? I would like to know peoples opinions.

Totally depends on the person. I have lesser players who expose the sweetspot immediately to the point where it crosses the target line and then still works back underneath. The action of trying to expose the sweetspot to the ball is generally a good idea but if your grip is to strong, etc you may have trouble.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
A hooker is only closing the face to the path because the path is too rightward. He must fix the path first.
A slicer only swings too far leftward because the face is open. He must fix the face first.

That's true in a lot of cases but there's certainly people that swing to the right to play their closed face. Those people need to fix path and face almost at the same time....we don't want any shanks in our lessons. Even if they teach a player something!

The action of trying to expose the sweetspot to the ball is generally a good idea but if your grip is to strong, etc you may have trouble.
This sentence seems to explain why I've struggled at times since moving from a strong grip to a neutral grip. Instead of delaying the release feel, as almost required with the strong grip, I probably need to practice exposing the sweetspot earlier. Thanks, Kevin.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
You can still very much delay the release, so to speak, with a less strong grip. No one really delays the release as its commonly referred to. They just create the angles later. As soon as angles in the right wrist or left wrist are maxed out, top players are getting rid of them as soon as possible.

Turning the face from being somewhat "laying on the plane" to more "perpendicular to the plane" or "facing the ball."

And after watching my "Manzella - Ideas About the Release" video this morning -- for the umpteenth time -- my brain finally realized that taking a slightly stronger than neutral grip (and fingers at 90*) will help this happen more naturally (especially when paired with the Out Toss).

It is amazing that no matter how many times I watch Brian's videos, something sinks in that didn't before. Or, I'm able to better understand what I've read on the forum and how to translate that into my own golf swing.

ZAP

New
And after watching my "Manzella - Ideas About the Release" video this morning -- for the umpteenth time -- my brain finally realized that taking a slightly stronger than neutral grip (and fingers at 90*) will help this happen more naturally (especially when paired with the Out Toss).

It is amazing that no matter how many times I watch Brian's videos, something sinks in that didn't before. Or, I'm able to better understand what I've read on the forum and how to translate that into my own golf swing.

+1 to that.

Played with a guy today who was slicing many shots and slicing badly. I avoid giving advice but he was from away and a good guy so at 17 I showed him the full twistaway. Slice gone, distance increase about 15% with less effort, air-mailed the last two greens. Man was happy and grateful. He had that "solid contact" smile on his face. I cautioned him it was easy to overcook and he would probably need to dial back some in future (easy on the hot sauce) but that he would probably "Never Slice Again". BM genius at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.