Suggestions on Design books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any suggestions on good books to read on course design? I am really green when it comes to knowing anything about this stuff..Who the really good designers are? How they design? What golfers should look out for in design?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Golf course design is one of Geoff Shackelford's best areas. His book "Grounds for Golf" is terriffic and highly recommended. Though I haven't read it, Tom Doak's "Anatomy of a Golf Course", has been well received.

Doak's Confidential Guide was the one that got me started about 20 years ago.....it's Doak acting like Brian and giving EVERY golf course he ever played a grade from 1 to 10......funny stuff....from there you just start reading the books by the greats and about the greats - Mackenzie, Tillinghast, Ross, Macdonald, Thomas, Raynor, etc....Shackelford is very good by the way - try his The Golden Age of Golf Design

Michael mentions Mackenzie. If that's "Spirit of St Andrews" then yeah, recommended. More of a book by a designer than a design book, if you know what I mean. But an interesting read.

"Golf as it was meant to be Played"? I regret not buying this when it sat on the shelf of my local bookshop for a while. Surely the best possible title for a design book. I hope the contents live up to that. One day I'll sort myself out with a copy, but if anyone else has read - be curious as to comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.