Summer 2010 "Multi-City" (ISP,SDF,MSP) Manzella Tour Stops — Comments and Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Summer 2010 "Multi-City" (ISP,SDF,MSP) Manzella Tour Stops — Comments and Reviews

I spent two hours with Brian in Minneapolis yesterday and he is one unbelievable teacher. No little tweaks, he grabs it by the horns. Eliminated the laid off backswing right away, no more open clubface, wedding ring on the movie screen, axis tilt, hit under the stick. At the end, 250 yard drives with a slight draw. Learned a new way to hit lob pitches, worked on the putting while Brian admired my hand made Mills putter and told Mills stories. Great fun is all I can say, other lessons simply pale in comparison. I am really spoiled now. Thanks Brian for the trip up north, can't wait to see you next year at the latest.

Well lucked out and mostly avoided the rain Friday morning. Great 2 hrs of lessons that went extremely fast. Trackman is the icing on the cake.

I have a lot to work on and blend together but feel as I have finally have some direction to improve my golf game (started playing for 4 years ago and have been stuck the last 2 at around a 7 index).

Summary of my lesson - fix my grip, more swivel, more slide, more turn.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ISdFrBn2NpE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ISdFrBn2NpE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Hey guys, I had a lesson with Brian last Tuesday the 8th in Louisville and it truly was a great lesson.

I still have some work to do but Brian immediately saw how underplane I was and why sometimes I tend to swing hard left and stay back during impact. I come so far underplane that I try to square the clubface up and immediately just come right up out of my posture which makes me point to the right. What that does is make me hit shots fat and stay back, hence sometimes flipping my wrists and hooking the ball.

With the help of Trackman, on my backswing Brian made me shift more to my back foot (sliding hips) and take the club more straight back (clubhead outside of hands) with my left shoulder more under and down, then my downswing comes straight forward with my right shoulder going more downplane.

This greatly help me hit some awesome 5 iron shots with a slight draw and i got zeroed out on trackman.

Last came the driver, I made the exact same backswing/downswing, but my driver I kept pushing and slicing. Trackman showed a great path but Brian saw that I needed more swivel and rotate that clubface more (catch the rain drops) type of finish. I've been working on this and its definitely helping. I was working on the wrong stuff trying to fix my staying back issue and hitting it fat sometimes, I was just coming too far from the inside, hopefully this baseball swing I had stays away.

Thanks Brian for the help. Guys, I would definitely recommend gettin fitted for clubs, Brian noticed all of my irons shafts (S300) and driver shaft (Aldila 75) was way too weak for my swing speed and load on the shaft. So I'm off to get fitted CORRECTLY.

By the way Brian, sorry about the lie board, man I really came underplane on that swing, hope you find a better one.

Jeff

Last edited:
By the way Brian, sorry about the plane board, man I really came underplane on that swing, hope you find a better one.

Is the infamous blue plane board no more?! :eek:

I too had a great lesson with Brian (MN stop). I'll post up a detailed review once Brian sends me my lesson review video and swing videos. I still need to wrap my head around a few things.

I also had a great lesson with Brian in MN. He also recommended to check out a driver fitting. Luckily, Ping had a fitting last Sunday. All I can say is WOW! I went from 246 carry and 257 total to 276 carry and 285 total. Talk about a poorly fit driver! It took me about 2 seconds to get the new G15.

Mike

I also had a great lesson with Brian in MN. He also recommended to check out a driver fitting. Luckily, Ping had a fitting last Sunday. All I can say is WOW! I went from 246 carry and 257 total to 276 carry and 285 total. Talk about a poorly fit driver! It took me about 2 seconds to get the new G15.

Mike

Whoa. What were you hitting before?

Whoa. What were you hitting before?

I was hitting a Titleist 909 D2 with an 80 gram shaft in it. It was fitted for me last year, but obviously was not real optimized. They did not use Trackman. I will keep the head and maybe reshaft it. However, the G15 was still longer and had better launch and spin numbers.

Mike

I would be interested in the details of your new G15 and the Trackman data, if you remember it. Club specs would be loft, length, shaft brand and model.

Trackman data: clubhead speed, angle of descent, spin rate. Obviously you have a high clubhead speed, but the small amount of carry implies a very steep angle of descent. When I was fit using Trackman I believe the fitter told me that 39 degrees of descent angle was optimum.

I bought the G15 9 degree with the TFC 700D shaft from the I15. I think my
swing speed was 102 with 235 carry and 30 yards of roll as I recall.

Just curious.

I would be interested in the details of your new G15 and the Trackman data, if you remember it. Club specs would be loft, length, shaft brand and model.

Trackman data: clubhead speed, angle of descent, spin rate. Obviously you have a high clubhead speed, but the small amount of carry implies a very steep angle of descent. When I was fit using Trackman I believe the fitter told me that 39 degrees of descent angle was optimum.

I bought the G15 9 degree with the TFC 700D shaft from the I15. I think my
swing speed was 102 with 235 carry and 30 yards of roll as I recall.

Just curious.

I don't remember all the Trackman data, but the spin rate was around 2400-2500 and the launch angle was 13 degrees. I am assuming you mean roll, not carry. The roll was not great, but the range was wet that day after a few days of rain and the grass is long. I don't know the angle of descent. I usually hit my old driver high and right. The G15 was much lower and straight. However, even when I felt I striped one with the Titleist, it only went 265 total. That was usually my average drive while playing as well.

I got a G15 with 10.5 degrees of loft, but they are tweaking it to be on the lower side. The shaft is a Serrano stiff.

Mike

Interesting.

Yes, I meant roll. My fitter told me that the G15 is a high launch head and thus we tested the 9 degree. Then he told me I would hit the two stock stiff shafts too high, and we went with the I15 stiff shaft.

Internet forums say that Ping, and others stamp a 10.5, but it's often more like 12. Who knows whether that is true.

I think roll is a calculated number.

Your swing speed must be at tour levels 110 - 115 to get that much Carry.

Not challenging, just find it interesting.

Last edited:
Interesting.

Yes, I meant roll. My fitter told me that the G15 is a high launch head and thus we tested the 9 degree. Then he told me I would hit the two stock stiff shafts too high, and we went with the I15 stiff shaft.

Internet forums say that Ping, and others stamp a 10.5, but it's often more like 12. Who knows whether that is true.

I think roll is a calculated number.

Your swing speed must be at tour levels 110 - 115 to get that much Carry.

Not challenging, just find it interesting.

I don't know about the roll. I should have asked about descent angle. I would love an extra 20 yrds roll! My swing speed is usually around 110-115 with a driver. That is why I wanted to get a proper fitting. I felt like I was not getting enough out of my current driver. I tested both the i15 and the G15 with a 9 degree. I tend to still hit down or level with the driver so the 9 degree was too low. The Ping fitter talked about "digitially?" lofting the driver so it is in between a 9 and 10.5. Probably a 10.1 or something.

The i15 was also solid, but I liked the feel of the G15 better. I really think it was more about finding the right shaft. The Serrano was the best for me. It lowered the spin rate for me a lot. All in all, I think it is worth it to get a good fitting. Trackman is a great tool. My old driver was also fit, but obviously not well. I am angry because I paid for that fitting and the Ping fitting was free.

Mike

What I find so frustrating is that a fitting is a 1 hour window of hitting shots from a flat tee out into a flat range with no trees, no pressure. During the fitting I'm hitting shot after shot pretty straight, and pretty uniformly solid. My actual results on the course have been less stellar.

Last round in the hot weather I had two drives that measured at around 280 range. I also had some absolute left snipers, and some blocked right. That's when I fall back to the 3 wood. Have had a lesson from Brian and a lesson from Mike Jacobs on the subject of Driver swing. It's a bitch getting old, will be 65 this year.

I'm now thinking of sending the Driver back to Ping and having it shortened to 44.5 inches from the stock 45.75 inches for better control. I want control over distance.

What I find so frustrating is that a fitting is a 1 hour window of hitting shots from a flat tee out into a flat range with no trees, no pressure. During the fitting I'm hitting shot after shot pretty straight, and pretty uniformly solid. My actual results on the course have been less stellar.

Last round in the hot weather I had two drives that measured at around 280 range. I also had some absolute left snipers, and some blocked right. That's when I fall back to the 3 wood. Have had a lesson from Brian and a lesson from Mike Jacobs on the subject of Driver swing. It's a bitch getting old, will be 65 this year.

I'm now thinking of sending the Driver back to Ping and having it shortened to 44.5 inches from the stock 45.75 inches for better control. I want control over distance.

280 and 65 yrs old? Wow! I hope I can still be belting it out there at 65. I agree with fitting on the range. I had some nasty pulls that went a mile, but on the course would be dead. My old driver had a 44 inch shaft in it. With the new Ping, it will be 45. Keep getting lessons with Brian or Mike. They will fix your driver.

That is the great thing about lessons with Brian. He tries to fix you right now. Also, having Trackman for a lesson is great. No more guessing what you thought you did. I am surprised more instructors don't use Trackman for lessons.

Status
Not open for further replies.