Suttie's (?) upper body swing

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of days ago i was watching the Momentus infommercial.

Todd Hamilton and Fred Funk were swinging it.
It looked like the first thing they did on the downswing was to rotate the shoulders back towards the target direction. And by impact their shoulders were extremely open. I'm mainly talking about their practice swings with the Momentus. It really seemed like the first thing they did on the downswing was rotate the shoulders back, and for some reason, rotate the head toward the target, too!?!

And then yesterday, i browsed through Jim Suttie's "Your Perfect Swing" book. He talked about an "Upper Body Swing." He said that people who swing with this way are moving their rear shoulder out and around. He also mentioned that the first thing you'll notice is that it seems like they return their shoulders back to (nearly) square very early on the downswing. This seemed to be describing what i saw in the Hamilton and Funk swings.

Can this type of swing be explained in TGM?

A second question: when PGA Tour Pros are making practice swings, it seems like they rotate their head towards the target very early on the downswing. I've noticed that even Tiger does this for many of his practice shots. Is there a reason for this?

Are you saying that an "Upper Body Swing" (perhaps roundhousing) is a fault or a way of swinging and if so, that Funk and co are doing this as part of their technique?

quote:Originally posted by ossie

Are you saying that an "Upper Body Swing" (perhaps roundhousing) is a fault or a way of swinging and if so, that Funk and co are doing this as part of their technique?

Suttie said that the "Upper Body Swing" was a legitimate way to swing.

OK - thanks, very interesting - Is there an online demo/explanation of this technique or only sourced via the book you mentioned?

I haven't been able to find anything on the Internet. It was only by looking through his "Your Perfect Swing" book.

Anybody else read it yet?

What do peole think of Suttie's teaching?

hue

New
The trail shoulder should more DOWN PLANE in a straight line not round house where the trail shoulder is turning way above plane . Anyone that teaches OTT roundhouse shoulder rotation on the down stroke is a joke.

timm

New
Before taking lesson I thought I was doing the shoulders correct but instead I was not moving them down, it was the round house that has plagued by game the dread over the top that is so ingrained that I still fight it when I don't concentrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.