sweetspot debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
here is something that is sure to fire up the board, yet I have never understood. In TGM and Ben Doyle's video, both speak of how to find the sweetspot plane of the stroke. Brian also speaks of it in the driver video on youtube.

TGM, BEN, AND BRIAN, all hoover the club just ablove the ball or ball mid line , alinging the sweetspot. THEN sole the club, which "moves' the ball to the "TOE END" of the club ...............................knowing this as the truth prescribed by TGM, BEN, and BRIAN.......why does it seem as if most touring pros..along with the average club member always have the ball lined up on the HEEL side of the sweetspot at address????????????????
BTW....I do it as TGM explains it..just wondering why people (pro and hacks alike) do it opposite? or so it seems

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Hackers do it because of visual perception issues...
Pros do it because they are looking for a low left exit to better facilitate fades.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Depends on what you do in the backswing, transition, and downswing....

But there is less of a sense that you need to swing 'out' or even 'down' which encourages the 'out'!

i know luke donald tees his driver in the hosel, but he straightens up extremly, pulling the club towards him and it gets closer to him. vijay is similar as his right arm touches his side going through the ball, again bringing the club closer to him.

and some players tee it quite low, and this means with the club sitting on the ground the ball will still sit nearer the middle of the club i.e sergio

either that or, i believe that they have always teed it up out the middle and jsut trained their swings to hit it out of middle

its funny that this thread was started yesterday, because i just started doing it yesterday afternoon. i was having a little problem lagging the hosel, so i was trying to practice lagging the sweetspot. i remembered brian's driver you tube, and an old post of kobylinski's saying you should do it with your irons too, and it worked well for me...no hosel rockets, and no toed shots either...

Obviously there are a lot of ways of approaching this, but I just want to add that what Brian describes in the YouTube video works really, really well for me. If I bend over properly and address the driver on the toe, I feel that I can really extend to and compress through the ball. It allows me - someone who still sometimes loses the driver right (when I get underplane) - to finally hit good strong draws with my driver...WITHOUT flipping. It was a real watershed moment for me when I understood how to draw the ball without flipping.

Played in a comp today and definitely, without question, hit the driver the best I'd hit it in my life - so I'm really sold on the way Brian teaches this.

Last edited:

Obviously there are a lot of ways of approaching this, but I just want to add that what Brian describes in the YouTube video works really, really well for me. If I bend over properly and address the driver on the toe, I feel that I can really extend to and compress through the ball. It allows me - someone who still sometimes loses the driver right (when I get underplane) - to finally hit good strong draws with my driver...WITHOUT flipping. It was a real watershed moment for me when I understood how to draw the ball without flipping.

Played in a comp today and definitely, without question, hit the driver the best I'd hit it in my life - so I'm really sold on the way Brian teaches this.

I agree with that fronesis...I used to hit a few heel shots until I figured that out....
Before that I always felt restricted with the driver, but the toe alignment cured all that. I can now really lash ay the ball, without fear of the heel shot..
Irons are different though, as most have their sweet spot (visually) towards the heel...

Status
Not open for further replies.