Swing advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone want to help?

This video was (obviously) taken on the course - hole 16. I have just hit a decent drive and I'm trying to hit a smooth 9 iron with some draw for about a 120 yard shot up the hill. Pin right beside the bunker and the green is sloped back to front with two tiers. Pin is ono front. The match has already been won on the 14th!

I'm trying to figure out my backswing. I've worked with NHA and SD but I can't say this is really based on either.

This was not my best swing of the day, but it wasn't the worst either: I'd call it fairly representative. I'm using basically my natural (inside) backswing because I haven't yet figured out how to change it to something bette for use out on the course. Downswing thought is basically 'one last point', with a touch of the NHA downswing in there too - pretty happy with the downswing, if that makes sense.

Questions for fun:
1. Where did this shot end up?
2. What dd I make on the hole (this being my second shot)?

video]<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fw91AXHlp4g?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fw91AXHlp4g?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>[/video]

1. bottom of the hole (or left in the bunker).
2. a 2(or a 4).

It looks like you can vary your ball flight some more by changing your release. This swing looked "handsy" or had some early release to me. Nice swing though!

Last edited:
The winner will be revealed when my backswing gets sorted......or else tomrorrow morning Euro-time.

Whichever comes first.

This shot went a little high and right and ended up two yards right of the green in the half-ball high rough about 3 yards past pin high. As G.O.L.F said, I did hit it a bit fat, but not much and as it was sitting up a little, I got away with it. I had taken extra club so didn't swing that hard - hence I might have avoided the hook people were seeing. Uphill lie also probably helped!

On to the score......

The next shot I bumped on with my 9i (should have used the 58 wedge). Hit it fine, but I landed the ball two yards on and on the steep sloped tier (DOH!) and the ball ran past the flag by 10 feet and into the damn bunker. I hit a good bunker shot back on and past the pin but the slope got me again and I three-putted from 15 feet.

An 8.

Too flat and inside out - long-standing problem, have improved but more to do obviously.

(EDIT: An 8? This was, of course, a 7. Drive/Iron/Chip/Bunker/3 Putt. Not sure why I missed it, it's not like I've never had one before......and I signed for a 7 too!).

Last edited:

oldpro

New
6 shots from in close after a good drive and a slightly pushed 2nd shot. Just my 2 cents here, but I'd get you working on a short game that would catch up to your good golf swing.

Notice the drive was also Right (probably not due to course management) - same swing as the approach shot.

So much inside out - you probably flip it with the hands to re-align the clubface near impact - hence the fat shot.

Oldpro - this was one of my worst short game plays ever! Dumping it in the bunker made it like starting the hole again, but point taken. I certainly did not give the chip shot enough respect.

Mike - correct about the drive, it was 5 yards short of the treeline. I had a case of the rights at this stage in the round having hit it better earlier (though all day with a fade).

Working on correcting the inside outs is my project at the moment.

Question: work on backswing, or work on 'carry' (answer is probably both).

The problem I have with carry is that I feel as though I am giving up my power. Probably just a matter of practicing.

Question: work on backswing, or work on 'carry' (answer is probably both).

The problem I have with carry is that I feel as though I am giving up my power. Probably just a matter of practicing.

I find adding carry actually increases my power. Maybe from the addition of the upper body motion carrying the hands.

6 shots from in close after a good drive and a slightly pushed 2nd shot. Just my 2 cents here, but I'd get you working on a short game that would catch up to your good golf swing.

After reading the blow-by-blow, this was my exact thougt as well. In his shoes, the last point of concern would've been the second shot. More like how did I turn 3 yards off into the world's shortest par 6. But then again, B only needed 14 holes.:)

Haha.

Should I add that the other two blokes played rubbish.

The 8 was a bit of a freak. I don't usually make 8 from just off when there in 2.

No! Never say that. Instead... "The other two played great, I just had it going early and never let off the gas. Anyone know what holes 15-18 play like?"

Ha - will do MGranato.

I made a great 4 from the middle of a forest (driver went TOO FAR ;)) on the 3rd. Bumped out, pitched to four feet, and putted. Should have put video of that on here to build my rep on here as a troubled short game genius!

Anways, think I'm gonna work on this and NHA for a bit:

Thanks all for the help.

I have always made a big effort to turn my shoulders as much as possible.

Never even thought about it before.

Does this contribute to getting too flat in backswing?

(Starting to think I may have been doing more of a 'chest turn'.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.