Swing falls apart after weight loss...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time member...been lurking but not posting.

I made a lot of progress last year in my game and played really well until I lost 30lbs. Since, I can't get my swing results anywhere close to where I was.

Can a weight loss really change your swing or...does a loss cause a need to change some things about your swing?

Anyone have any experience with this?

I hope to get some time to make some video and post. In the mean time, would appreciate any comments.

Long time member...been lurking but not posting.

I made a lot of progress last year in my game and played really well until I lost 30lbs. Since, I can't get my swing results anywhere close to where I was.

Can a weight loss really change your swing or...does a loss cause a need to change some things about your swing?

Anyone have any experience with this?

I hope to get some time to make some video and post. In the mean time, would appreciate any comments.

Yes weight loss can change your swing dramatically, for instance Colin Montgomerie has lost weight on several occasions in the past and he found it sped up his tempo and on at least one occasion he had to weaken his grip to cope with the extra speed. John Daly has had problems when he has rapidly reduced his weight.

Personally I have gained over 20lbs of muscle over a period of 2 years and it didnt effect my swing to any great extent apart from making me longer, since last august i have lost 20lbs of mostly fat and found I can hit it further.

I've been wondering about this myself. I lost about 35 lbs and feel like my swing has not quite recovered. I lost the weight through diet and lifestyle changes, not through exercise. So my range of motion and all that is similar. I went from 5'9 about 195, down to 160. I've experienced a loss of power, and I'm thinking in an effort to regain my distance I'm just swinging too wildly. I've been hoping for a thread about this. I'll be interested to see what others have to say. About halfway through the weight loss I improved to shooting low 80's consistently. Now I'm lucky to break 90, with what I feel is a better short game then before.

I also happened to get a girlfriend right around the time when my swing fell apart, so when my friends ask what happened I just blame her. :)

20 lb exchange? What program did you use to do that, Aaron?

I will explain, in 2004 I took up powerlifting, I weighed 70kg by 2006 I was up to 82kg with a little bit of fat gain. At a competition I did in August 2010 my bodyweight was 91kg now it is 80kg; the weight loss came from eliminating all junk food from my diet.

I've been wondering about this myself. I lost about 35 lbs and feel like my swing has not quite recovered. I lost the weight through diet and lifestyle changes, not through exercise. So my range of motion and all that is similar. I went from 5'9 about 195, down to 160. I've experienced a loss of power, and I'm thinking in an effort to regain my distance I'm just swinging too wildly. I've been hoping for a thread about this. I'll be interested to see what others have to say. About halfway through the weight loss I improved to shooting low 80's consistently. Now I'm lucky to break 90, with what I feel is a better short game then before.

I also happened to get a girlfriend right around the time when my swing fell apart, so when my friends ask what happened I just blame her. :)

I'm thinking it is something to do with my posture and weight balance. I'm going to get the video out this weekend and see if I can figure something out. I don't have a gut any longer. I used to have a freakin' basketball there. It's got to be something to do with swinging around that gut vs. it not being there any longer.

Weight loss can really change your body's flexibility as well, you may be getting into positions your body never knew was possible and you don't know what to do from those positions, congrats on the weight loss, ultimately once you get the feel down a little more for what you're doing, its going to do nothing but help.

Status
Not open for further replies.