Swing path right, flight left w/ hook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker first time poster.

I have completely lost my swing in the past few months and I cannot get it straightened out.

I have a quick tempo, hdc is 2, with my typical misses being a hard, quick hook. When I look at my divots they point slightly right of target but the ball is starting out left and hooking - I must be coming through the ball with a completely shut clubface. I have tried weakening my grip but it doesn't really help a whole lot.

Suggestions?

try fanning the face open on the takeaway, or playing a hold shot, with angled to vertical hinging, just to practice, to keep the blade open

I feel your pain

I've been there....in fact the one time I have been to Brian in person, this is exactly what we were working on.

First, by all means, if you don't have Never Hook Again, buy it and watch it.

You need to learn to swing more left...with slicers, Brian normally fixes the clubface first, with hookers, he fixes path and plane first. If you learn to swing left, you will learn clubface control as well.

Things I worked on with Brian...the club feels like it stays in front of you on the backswing (up the wall). Then you need to have the club drop to start the downswing. For some people, the drop doesn't work and they need to make it happen (SHAKE THE SUGAR). Then, swinging left the order is hips, hands, clubhead. It's NOT a over-the-top, hacker type move, but the hips pull everything left...and then FOLLOW THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD.

VOILA, no more pull hooks!

With all due respect, I would not mess around with Pecky's suggestion of fanning, horizontal hinging, vertical hinging, etc...that will just probably get you in a different type of mess....but to each his own!

Yup try to fix your path. (try to swing as left as you can until you hit big fades)

Feel like your body is very open through impact..........

Watch Hunter Mahan.........David Toms..........what they do through impact.

You MAY need a more "Fred Couples/Monty" (HINT: they are both faders) pivot--with a matching steeper armswing and shoulder turn--to help you with this new through impact plane line.

If the above doesn't work your clubface may be too closed.

Brian has a great video "Never Hook Again" that outlines all of this and more with visuals.

Last edited:
i wouldn't have thought that making you swing left would help, as the path is only a little to the right, indicated by the divots, but the face is severly closed.

i feel that if you start swinging more left, the ball will go MORE left. thats why i suggested fixing the face problems.

I've been there....in fact the one time I have been to Brian in person, this is exactly what we were working on.

First, by all means, if you don't have Never Hook Again, buy it and watch it.

You need to learn to swing more left...with slicers, Brian normally fixes the clubface first, with hookers, he fixes path and plane first. If you learn to swing left, you will learn clubface control as well.

Things I worked on with Brian...the club feels like it stays in front of you on the backswing (up the wall). Then you need to have the club drop to start the downswing. For some people, the drop doesn't work and they need to make it happen (SHAKE THE SUGAR). Then, swinging left the order is hips, hands, clubhead. It's NOT a over-the-top, hacker type move, but the hips pull everything left...and then FOLLOW THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD.

VOILA, no more pull hooks!

With all due respect, I would not mess around with Pecky's suggestion of fanning, horizontal hinging, vertical hinging, etc...that will just probably get you in a different type of mess....but to each his own!

Well said, you have got to swing more left after impact, as the more it goes left the more you will swing right. just as slicers will swing more left as the ball goes to the right.
Get Never hook again DVD its simple the best.
Langer

i wouldn't have thought that making you swing left would help, as the path is only a little to the right, indicated by the divots, but the face is severly closed.

i feel that if you start swinging more left, the ball will go MORE left. thats why i suggested fixing the face problems.

I can attest that swinging more left DOES NOT make the ball go more left...I know as I've been getting too much inside out lately so I'm quite familiar with the problem, that is divots right and ball going left. You swing too much out and have to then flip the hands to keep the ball from going right. Having been trying to get everything going left and squaring the face with the big muscles, recent results have proven to me that the ball will go as straight as an arrow. I would wholeheartedly agree that swinging more left, handle and all is the way to go, the whole left side going that way....at least IMO.

if you swing left with a closed face, the ball will go left.

its pretty simple. it seems this guy has face problems. surely fixing them would solve the problem??

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
if you swing left with a closed face, the ball will go left.

its pretty simple. it seems this guy has face problems. surely fixing them would solve the problem??

Pecky, with the majoirty of cases (90%+ in my experience) you fix people in this order:

Slicers:

1) Face
2) Path

Hookers

1) Path
2) Face

------------------

If you get someone swinging a bit too far right and fix the face first they will still have a tendency to flip it, push it, or even start SHANKING it.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Yeah, hookers get the path treatment first. Sometimes the face fixes itself because maybe its only closing because of the path.

Jim, while I agree with you and Kevin, I got to wondering about why you typically fix the problems in those orders, and why they are opposite. And I think I figured out why.

People that slice the ball typically are not very good players. They lack clubface control; some shots are hard banana balls, others are dead pulls, and consistency is non-existant. They need to learn how to properly control the face before they can realize they are swinging too far to the left, a problem which then corrects itself. People that hook the ball, however, are typically better players. They understand clubface control (intuitively) and can square up the face pretty much however they need to. Problem is, with their path so far out to the right, even a square clubface will produce some shaky shots. For them, they simply need to learn the correct path (more left for them) and will intuitively square up the clubface, since they already know how to.

How'd I do?

Thanks for all the responses.

As of now I have concentrated on my grip (more neutral and more in the fingers) and my alignment (I was aiming right of target which I think is very typical). I am going to keep at that until it feels natural. I am hitting it great on the range - don't we all - but on the course it is still pretty goofy. Then I will see where I am at (I am thinking a good 2 months before the grip and set up feels good) and possibly start on a path change if it is necessary.

Thank god for a short game.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Jim, while I agree with you and Kevin, I got to wondering about why you typically fix the problems in those orders, and why they are opposite. And I think I figured out why.

People that slice the ball typically are not very good players. They lack clubface control; some shots are hard banana balls, others are dead pulls, and consistency is non-existant. They need to learn how to properly control the face before they can realize they are swinging too far to the left, a problem which then corrects itself. People that hook the ball, however, are typically better players. They understand clubface control (intuitively) and can square up the face pretty much however they need to. Problem is, with their path so far out to the right, even a square clubface will produce some shaky shots. For them, they simply need to learn the correct path (more left for them) and will intuitively square up the clubface, since they already know how to.

How'd I do?
I'd say that's generally pretty accurate.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator

How'd I do?

Pretty good, however you also need to identify the student as a true hooker or someone who is a leakge hooker who is playing a timed flip draw where if they didn't, they'd slice it. For those people, even though they are (leakage) hooking it, you need to give them the NSA treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.