Swing path right, flight left w/ hook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty good, however you also need to identify the student as a true hooker or someone who is a leakge hooker who is playing a timed flip draw where if they didn't, they'd slice it. For those people, even though they are (leakage) hooking it, you need to give them the NSA treatment.

Jim-

Just to understand the terminology, is a "leakage hooker" is someone who swings too much to left field and still tries to play his draw/hook (with bad shots thus being pull hooks) by someone having a typical slicer swing path, but just has enough clubface control to avoid slicing? or does "leakage hooking" just mean you hook by flipping regardless of swing path?

I don't think I have much flipping left in my impact, but I was someone hitting a hook that at best started at target and moved left or started left and went more left. Brian had me working on eliminating slide of hips on takeway, getting arms closer to body on takeway, and a less tripod-like pivot all to get me access to inside of the ball at impact -- even though I've never sliced and always tried to play a draw (albeit a "pull draw" if that is not an oxymoron).

thanks, niblick1

Last edited:
I agree that with most hookers the problem is path. And my personal opinion is that the reason the path is bad is because the have relatively poor hip action, or incorrect hip action. I'm big time guilty of not clearing the left hip, therefore the hands can't come down on the proper path and you either flip hook or block it right.

I think this is one of the reasons Hogan emphasized starting the swing with the hips, since he fought a hook.

I think this is a very good thread and worthy of reopening. Like peeling off a scab even if it does bleed a little.

My bad shot has always been right to left. I haven't hit a hook for a long time but when I try and fade it sometimes it won't fade as much as I'd like or it would stay straight and go through the fairway on the left. This is extremely frustrating because 3 of the par fives on my course demand a fade. What I have said may indicate that I simply have clubface problems as opposed to path problems but this game isn't always that simple. I feel like getting my face open will either make me hit it further left or squeeze it right. I've been working on keeping my left wrist flatter with mixed results but we're getting there.

My objection to the swing left advice for hookers is that swinging left after impact may make things worse before impact. A good player may get so used to their positions prior to impact that swinging left will actually exaggerate their inside move on the way down because they clear even more to the left starting down and have the club flattening out even more. I think their problem is often that they're too narrow coming down with right arm tucked excessively. This is often due to a closed clubface and trying to block out that closed clubface with an inside out hold on move. I know I'm opening myself up for a Never Hook Again antidote here but I have some difficulty with this as well. By swinging up and down the wall the right to left player will end up with upright arms and fail to complete their turn and be in a terrible position at the top with nowhere to go. The right to left player in all likelihood already fails to complete their turn because they feel that if they do they'll only hook it even more. Extra speed + shut = more left. However, if that player has a neutral grip and all else being equal their path may have been their only problem but again, golf is rarely this simple. I think a weaker grip , full turns (regardless of accentuating the problem), good alignments and better left wrist control while displacing a lot of practice fairway dirt is the key.

My objection to the swing left advice for hookers is that swinging left after impact may make things worse before impact. A good player may get so used to their positions prior to impact that swinging left will actually exaggerate their inside move on the way down because they clear even more to the left starting down and have the club flattening out even more. I think their problem is often that they're too narrow coming down with right arm tucked excessively.

IMO, this is precisely why the "drop" is in NHA. It allows you to go hard left without the club flattening out.

Status
Not open for further replies.