Swing plane and clubface rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question - assuming the same grip and a flat left wrist at the top of the backswing, does an upright arm swing open the clubface more on the way to the top than a flatter plane?

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how to define the correct reference points - in a way, that's the root of my question.

All other things being equal, the clubface is going to face the sky more at the top of a flat swing. Does that mean that the clubface is less open, in a meaningful way, than a more upright swing? Or is it only the clubface alignment relative to the back of the left forearm that matters.

Others before me have argued that flatter swings tend towards a draw flight and that an upright swing will tend towards a fade. Is this part of the reason, or a contributory factor, or a red herring?

Clubface relative to flying wedge as a measure of openness (or closed-ness).

I can't see the argument that position at the top simply in terms of upright or flat promotes any particular ballflight. it's what happens on the way down.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Question - assuming the same grip and a flat left wrist at the top of the backswing, does an upright arm swing open the clubface more on the way to the top than a flatter plane?

With a vertical left arm throughout the swing, a shaft across the line promotes and open face and slightly laid off promotes a closing face...all things equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.