Swing plane and lie angle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts of the forum please.

I'm working on making a steeper backswing plane.

Would this be better suited to more upright irons (more upright shaft angle) or flatter irons (lower hands, more back flex, steeper turn)?

Or, since there seems to be logic supporting both alternatives, is lie angle a red herring in terms of facilitating the swing change?

Thanks Kevin - I think you're saying that lie angle should be determined by impact, not the overall swing - which makes sense.

What about a different but related question. Are there elements of posture and set up that better promote a steeper backswing?

What I think of as fairly conventional thinking would have you bend more from the hips for a steeper shoulder turn.

But then there seems to be some alternative views that are now trying to match up flatter arms with a more bent over torso angle and steeper shoulders. Or, a steeper arm swing matched to a more upright torso and flatter turn.

Personally, I feel that if I swing with my back to a wall, it seems easier to keep the club off the wall starting from a more bent over posture.

Status
Not open for further replies.