Swinging left and gaining distance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you read my lesson review last week you know I was swinging to far to the right and Brian fixed me. Well I've been hitting balls at the range but couldn't tell how far they were going until today when I played. I set 4 personal best drives today and was just killing it. Now the question; is it because my body is open now at impact allowing the arms to accelerate through impact? Or maybe my body is carrying the hands to a later release(more lag)?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
...(This one is worth more than GOLD!)....

Only two ways to hit the ball....AWAY from your left hip, or ACROSS your left hip.

Believe or not, if you do as I told you, you'll OPEN your hips more and earlier, your hips will LEAD your hands and then clubhead through impact, but...

...eventually....

..you will be swinging more ACROSS your left hip...

and you'll be KILLING it!

Oh, you are. :D

Not quite following you Brian, by across the left hip do you mean the hands going left after impact and across the hip where away would have the hands not coming so far left but more up after impact?

Last edited:
One image that's helped me...........

The ball sits BEHIND the apex of the "rainbow"...........

............rainbows curve left after apex!!!.......(guuuaaaahhh)...

Or I like to think of a "windshield wipe" on the ground..........same deal.

Last edited:
Why don't bad golfers swing left?

I might be very wrong but I would think most bad golfers DO swing left, which is one of the reasons they slice. That's why the Inside Approach is so popular, stoping the out to in. Better golfers usually hook more than slice since they come from the inside more and swing to the right. I've seen this in my own game as I've improved. I think this is what Brian does with players. First NSA, then NHA, then somewhere in the middle.

PS Like I said, I may be very wrong!!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I might be very wrong but I would think most bad golfers DO swing left, which is one of the reasons they slice. That's why the Inside Approach is so popular, stoping the out to in. Better golfers usually hook more than slice since they come from the inside more and swing to the right. I've seen this in my own game as I've improved. I think this is what Brian does with players. First NSA, then NHA, then somewhere in the middle.

PS Like I said, I may be very wrong!!

Slicers swing TOO FAR LEFT and hookers SWING TOO FAR RIGHT.

Isn't the NHA pivot sort of like a reverse pivot, where the head stays in the middle and the hips slide a wee bit right...?

Erik_K

New
Why don't bad golfers swing left?

Bad golfers absolutely swing to the left. Actually they do everything 'to the left.' Their slice 'forces' them to setup aiming to the left so they can work the ball back to the center.

Their steep path and wide open face mandate a swing too far to the left.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Isn't the NHA pivot sort of like a reverse pivot, where the head stays in the middle and the hips slide a wee bit right...?

It's more the "feel" of a reverse pivot. More people who swing too far to the right, lean way too far right at the top of their backswing and sway off the ball.

When you tell them to shift their hips and keep their head still they usually won't do it "exactly" that way, but it will get them to lean much much less right and be a lot easier to swing on a straighter plane line.

Only two ways to hit the ball....AWAY from your left hip, or ACROSS your left hip.

Believe or not, if you do as I told you, you'll OPEN your hips more and earlier, your hips will LEAD your hands and then clubhead through impact, but...

...eventually....

..you will be swinging more ACROSS your left hip...

and you'll be KILLING it!

Oh, you are. :D

I had a lesson today and we worked on Wedge shots and eliminating my bad shot, the pull.

My instructor told me ......to swing MORE LEFT!!!! That I was swinging out to the right and high, over turning the face through impact. He want me to swing low and left, more of a holding off "feeling" for me, for both wedge shots and full swing to eliminate my pull.

Does that make sense or otherwise consistent with what you would expect?

Thanks, Jim.

Was just trying the NHA pattern out today, but was pulling it terribly when my hips weren't the ones initiating the downswing...Not sure though that this always were the case...anything else in the NHA pattern that'll have you pull it?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Thanks, Jim.

Was just trying the NHA pattern out today, but was pulling it terribly when my hips weren't the ones initiating the downswing...Not sure though that this always were the case...anything else in the NHA pattern that'll have you pull it?

No Axis tilt and hitting the BACK of the ball.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I had a lesson today and we worked on Wedge shots and eliminating my bad shot, the pull.

My instructor told me ......to swing MORE LEFT!!!! That I was swinging out to the right and high, over turning the face through impact. He want me to swing low and left, more of a holding off "feeling" for me, for both wedge shots and full swing to eliminate my pull.

He sounds like he is right on.

Or is it a her?

Brian, Jim, Tom, whoever,

Can you explain more about this swinging across the left(front) hip. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.