Swingweight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that heavier is better than lighter. I would say that, in irons, I have always preferred D3 - D5. Recent fitting, 9 days ago, by veteran Ping Fitter, resulted in S56's 4-PW +1 inch over Ping Std. with AWT Stiff Shafts and a specified Swingweight of D4-D5. That swingweight becomes difficult with an longer than std. club and say a DG stiff shaft. I also ordered 3 Tour S wedges. These will be up there swingweight wise, but that's what you want. They arrive sometime in the next 4 hours. Salivating!

That's not heavy ! My E2-E3 irons are heavy..... :cool:

But besides that imho it's the wrong question. Rather ask about length and total weight

I spent about 3/4 of this season with E3 irons. Played well with them, but I really like the D8 feel better. E3 was just too much for my delicate frame.:)

I thought this was you Mike?
tim-tebow-golfing.jpg

TEBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

All of my Titleist Driver/Woods are supposedly weighted at D-4 from the factory (haven't checked).

My Wishon Irons are MOI matched, based on a D2.5 6-iron. As a result, each club increases by 1/2 a swingweight point, so my irons end up looking like this:

3i- D1
4i - D1.5
5 - D2
6 - D2.5
7 - D3
8 - D3.5
9 - D4
PW - D4.5
54W - D5
60W - D5.5

I purchased another set of Wishons online (originally to create a nearly identical backup set). They were supposedly swingweighted, but after taking them to my fitter, they are in fact MOI-matched, starting at something like a D9. Those get up into the E swingweights. Don't use those as much, for a variety of reasons, but I didn't really have a problem using them when I did.

How do you like the MOI matched set (1st set)?

I love my MOI-matched original set. I find that they feel incredibly consistent throughout the set. Also, they only vary 3/8 in. between clubs, so the length difference is less drastic from the top to bottom of the set.

I also like the heavier set. However, when I attempt to pair it w/ my normal 3 iron/hybrid (heavier set only goes to 4 iron), I always at least "imagine" that I feel a difference between my 3 and 4. Also, it feels like my irons are ridiculously heavier in comparison to my woods. Could be my knowledge of the specs. psyching me out, but it at least feels inconsistent, and therefore I don't use the heavier set as much. I need to break down and have them worked on to match them to the other set.

hp12c

New
All of my Titleist Driver/Woods are supposedly weighted at D-4 from the factory (haven't checked).

My Wishon Irons are MOI matched, based on a D2.5 6-iron. As a result, each club increases by 1/2 a swingweight point, so my irons end up looking like this:

3i- D1
4i - D1.5
5 - D2
6 - D2.5
7 - D3
8 - D3.5
9 - D4
PW - D4.5
54W - D5
60W - D5.5

I purchased another set of Wishons online (originally to create a nearly identical backup set). They were supposedly swingweighted, but after taking them to my fitter, they are in fact MOI-matched, starting at something like a D9. Those get up into the E swingweights. Don't use those as much, for a variety of reasons, but I didn't really have a problem using them when I did.

Finncox when u first played/practice with the moi matched irons were they a difficult to get used to due the swingwieghts increasing as the clubs get shorter and lighter as the get longer?

hp12c

New
That's not heavy ! My E2-E3 irons are heavy..... :cool:

But besides that imho it's the wrong question. Rather ask about length and total weight

Yup those are heavy, did u have lighter/heavier swingweight irons and then settled on e2 e3 or thats what u have been playing with since u started playing golf>

Finncox when u first played/practice with the moi matched irons were they a difficult to get used to due the swingwieghts increasing as the clubs get shorter and lighter as the get longer?

I didn't find it difficult to adjust. Honestly, my game was in a slump at that time, so I'm not sure I was playing well enough to notice. Everything felt bad.

At this point, I will say that I really don't adjust very quickly to others' clubs. I've been gaming my current set almost exclusively for about 6 months, and when I pick up someone else's clubs, whether it's just mental or actual, something feels off. I really just prefer the feel of my own clubs. I think that one thing the MOI-matching has undoubtedly done for me is create such a consistency through the set, that I am really familiar with my clubs and the way that they feel in my hands and during my swing.

Simply put, they feel more solid and well-built than off-the-rack clubs. The local fitter I work with does fantastic work, and is one of the nicest gentlemen you could ever hope to deal with.

Hey Granato do u feel a noticeable difference between your woods and irons?

I just carry a driver and 3 wood, and those feel the same. I usually carry a hybrid for a 3iron substitute, and it's setup like an iron.

My irons and woods don't feel the same. I need them to do different jobs. :)

hp12c

New
I just carry a driver and 3 wood, and those feel the same. I usually carry a hybrid for a 3iron substitute, and it's setup like an iron.

My irons and woods don't feel the same. I need them to do different jobs. :)

Granato would you please elaborate on the "need to do different jobs" part of your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.