Take a look at the educational bios and you make the call....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Max Prokopy said:

Wow - I seriously doubt Jeff would even claim me as any expert! I've only been in touch with him for 7 days...and already this. Oh well. I was in touch with Kelvin 2 years ago but realized I needed to learn more about his approach before even considering I could properly evaluate it.

I guess Mr. Finney does not know the meaning of the term biomechanics: it is simply the study of movement, and in our case in vivo with humans. One can accomplish that with a host of methods. He has confused precision with accuracy or validity...a shame.

My observations are clearly not qualitative. That was whole point of sending the graph(s) to Kelvin!

OK, I am certain he does claim you as an expert. If Kelvin does - he will. I listed several of the people who Jeffy claims as experts - none of them have degrees in biomechanics. I listed 5 or 6 people who we claim to be experts - they all have PhDs in biomechanics. It's there for anyone to review and decide for themselves. Jeffy has yet to address this because he has no defense other than "maybe they have a fresh approach by coming from outside the real world of biomechanics"….but we all know that argument would fall flat.

And then you say that you used the last two years looking at Kelvins approach to analyzing human movement. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kelvin's approach is PURELY LINE DRAWING and is subject to the many hazards that 2D offers the deconstruction of human movement. Now, you can say he has the right to this approach and that he can do good things with this approach. THEN, I can say that the approach is riddled with "seems as if" and can be counter productive when in the hands of a person driving a certain agenda without access to accurate 3D data. Please reference, hip deceleration, closed to open faces, and spinal engine contributions to rotational velocity of the pelvis and torso.

The graphs you sent to Kelvin have been looked at by two of our friends in the biomechanics business - they have some issues with the comments you made about the data as well as the comments made by Jeff Martin. I will leave that for you guys to work through if you would like.

I will get back to a major point that I made with Atanu Muhjerkee and his criticisms of modern day biomechanics models. If you are going to criticize the approach of Neal, Mackenzie, Cheetham, Duffey, and Kwon, please offer a better actionable alternative. Please don't criticize the models while heaping praise on what Kelvin and Jeff do - draw lines on casio video and make conclusions that begin with he phrase IT STANDS TO REASON.

Just got off the phone with Max Prokopy - super nice guy who seems to be in the discussion for the right reasons. It will be nice to learn from him in the near future.

Just got off the phone with Phil Cheetham - had a great talk about the "spinal engine" and its "role" in the turning pelvis and torso. What a great guy who is ALWAYS open to discussing the golf swing in a forthright manner. Actually, didn't tell him that Max Prokopy had just mentioned him as one of his great biomechanics influences. I will next time.

If anyone cares at this point (all 2 of you), here is Stu McGill's rebuttal to Serge Gracovetsky from 1988 - fascinating reading if you value hearing the other side for a change. Toward the end, McGill describes Garcovetsky's "selective presentation and extrapolations from other people's data and misquoting of our work to try to substantiate his a priori position, implicit in his optimization approach, that passive tissues play a major role in supporting the trunk in all lifting efforts". Dos that type of behavior remind you of anyone in particular?

Can't make this stuff up….

http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/sp-3.15.1b...t|S.sh.18.19|0

Thanks to Max Prokopy for the link….

The only one flailing around is you - when you don't get to direct the narrative, you start to post more word and picture dumps in the hopes of burying the other side in an avalanche of bullshit.

Phil never mentioned you, the second fire, or Serge Gracovetsky in our discussion.

Hip decel - loss
Club face stability post impact - loss
Spinal engine "truly driving the swing" - laughable loss - Here's Kelvin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNvi1kdo4Wg
"Experts" - not even addressed - indefensible

Yet to come:
Closed to open faces prior to impact via micro move/twitch #88 - hmmm, sounds like another loser

Can't make this stuff up….not even Heath Slocum

Jeffy3Jack

"Keep dreaming. Your own team has conceded the ROC/stability debate, the "spine engine truly drives the golf swing" has been thoroughly debunked, I never expressed any opinion about the education credentials of any experts, and, as we discussed at the PGA show, no research has been published that proves one way or another whether a player can make movements at impact that stabilizes the face. For "not being right about anything for four years", you don't have much of a case."

IT STANDS TO REASON that you have lost every debate on each topic. I award you no points - and may God have mercy on your soul.

Uhh, Jeffy. - you highlighted McGill saying that he can't directly validate his model or anyone else's model at this time.....

That was in 1988, you dunce......

Since then, I'll repost his first email response to me earlier today....

"Our "model" accounted for muscles, ligaments, the lumbodorsal fascia, intra-abdominal pressure, full 3D motion and has compared experimental results with human data from our lab and many others. It continues to develop in several labs around the world - mainly because it produces results that compare to real life."

Can't make this stuff up....

His book was published in 1989.....technology moves on and models get reviewed - ask Atanu....some survive the test of time and some influence "seems as if" instructors to make bold claims that go unsubstantiated.....

Admit it, Jeffy - you've made claims that you can't back up in the least - "it stands to reason" does not hold up to peer review - especially when we're talking about your "reason"....

McGill's email was from today....not 26 years ago

Try again....

Can't make this stuff up.

OK - through email and phone conversations the past two days with two separate PhDs in biomechanics,I have come to the following conclusion. To even entertain the thought that the coupled motion of the spine through lordosis and side bending adds ANY rotational power to the golf swing is not even worth discussing. The muscles do the work and McGill and Gracovetsky both attempted to model their (the muscles') contributions....but to associate the "snapping counter rotation of the lumbar spine" with increased rotational velocities is folly and to teach such a move in the hopes of realizing such is an insult to the researchers who have studied the golf swing.

Stu McGill's last response to me yesterday in regard to Kelvin's ruler demonstration video highlighted the other two biomechanists' position....

Mike,
Oh my goodness - when you flex then laterally bend did your torso whip around?

After talking with these three gentlemen, I think it's best to not engage in any more discussion about this theory that has NO RELEVANCE WHATSOEVER to creating power in the golf swing. Jeff Hunt and Richie Martin will have to search for some other unsuspecting teachers to spread their "spinal engine" gospel.

Good luck boys, you have an uphill battle convincing people of a theory that the current biomechanists dismiss immediately.

Sorry....can't make this stuff up.

And by the way - I will count this as a LOSS - for you - 100 - 0

Wait, you send a simple email to two biomechanists - Cheetham and McGill - asking a question exactly how you want to ask it - and THEN you decide it's time to stop talking about this???

Did they respond?
Did you hear what you wanted to hear?
Did they tell you your idea has no merit?

If you were to stop now, we would have no other recourse than to assign a LOSS to the spinal engine gang. One more loss in a ever increasing number of losses.

Can't make this stuff up.

I love how we're misrepresenting what you say by sending freaking videos created by you on the subject:to the scientists. Why don't you have Kelvin make a video of his "current" beliefs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtfy6Km3kvY

"We're going to give you an idea of how the spine engine works...."

Maybe he should take the damn videos down....???

You and Kelvin have screwed up this whole spine engine thing - posting videos, making definitive statements, misinterpreting "primary", and the list goes on. Here are some of your attempts at "clarifying" your position.....

"Whether the elastic properties of the spine add much in the way of power is certainly open for debate"

NO, IT"S NOT

"What is discussed and taught are the spine movements we see in the great swingers, lumbar lordosis, lateral bend and left pelvic tilt, which allow the upper body and pelvis to rotate as a unit and most efficiently"

MOST EFFICIENTLY?? You sound like the stack/tilters...

"My understanding from the literature is that when the lumbar spine is in lordosis (which would be the case if the pelvis was in anterior pelvic tilt (APT)), and a golfer lateral bends to the right (which will apply a linear force to the lumbar spine), coupled motion of the lumbar spine will convert that linear force into a counter-clockwise axial torque applied to the pelvis. The linear force applied to the lumbar spine is presumably composed of at least some portion of the force of gravity acting on the upper body (since it is bent over) plus the pull of the lateral flexors which induced the lateral bend. As a consequence, this combined linear force creates an incremental torque applied to the pelvis above and beyond that created by the contra-lateral musculature of the back and abdomen. Does that sound reasonable?"

INCREMENTAL - this will be the next argument. In Steven Nesbit's Work and Power, he measured around 1000 Nm of work being done by the hips, lumbar, and thorax. Will the elastic properties of the spine add 1 Nm? Will upper body and pelvis rotating as a unit add 2 Nm? Do they add 0 Nm?

Here's the problem with all your "lines on top of golf shirts" deduction - you guess way too much. You tell everyone who wants to listen that you can "see" the spinal engine at work while looking at closeups of Jamie Sadlowski's midsection. I'm sorry to say, but you can't. I've called you out on it and you have no defense..

Jeffy3Hunt:

"Notice how Jamie goes into PPT through impact and his pelvis slows to a complete stop"…..

Ironic how this quote is wedged into the spinal engine discussion….

Here's what I sent Stu McGill….the rest of my emails to him concerned his modeling efforts….you're getting paranoid

Sent: April 6, 2015 6:59 PM
To: Stu McGill
Subject: Very brief videos....

Dr. McGill,

Here are a couple very brief videos from the group championing the "spine engine's" influence on the downswing....

http://youtu.be/aNvi1kdo4Wg

http://youtu.be/Vtfy6Km3kvY

Just to let you know what's out there.

Mike Finney

Sent from my iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.